It’s Dessert Week at iambaker! This week I am sharing five incredible and unique fall desserts that are a perfect alternative to pumpkin pie and would be an ideal addition to any Thanksgiving gathering! This Vanilla Poppyseed Cake with Raspberry Topping is a delicious and beautiful treat. You may also enjoy my Cream Cheese Pound Cake!
Vanilla Poppyseed Cake with Raspberry Topping
Bundt cakes are not something I have ever been interested in making. I don’t even have a rational reason as to why they are hanging out at the bottom of my want-to-make list. My bundt perception shifted, and I suddenly wanted (very badly!) to try my hand at making one.
This bundt was a wonderful combination of so many things. A light and fragrant vanilla cake peppered with black poppy seeds and covered in the sweetest glaze.
Paired with a slightly tart raspberry topping and it’s officially tastebud overload.
As an aspiring food photographer, I can’t help but also love the color contrast. The bright white and black contrasted with the deep red of the bursting berries. It makes my mouth water! Granted. I have actually tasted this yummy cake so maybe it’s just my mind recalling the fabulous flavors.
I am officially converted into a Bundt Cake fan.
The classic cake never goes out of style!
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil Substitutions
- 4 eggs
- 4 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection Poppy Seed
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 package 10 ounces frozen raspberries in light syrup, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan
Mix flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Add milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Beat with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping sides of the bowl.
- Beat on medium speed 3 minutes.
- Gently stir in poppy seed. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean.
- Mix all ingredients in small saucepan. Bring to boil on medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 1 minute.
- Remove cake from oven. Pierce cake surface deeply with a fork, about every inch.
- Spoon half of the glaze over hot cake in pan.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Invert cake onto serving plate. Spoon remaining glaze over cake. Cool completely before serving.
- Mix raspberries and vanilla. Spoon sauce over each slice of cake before serving