Chocolate Hazelnut Cake

filed under: Miscellaneous on April 25, 2011

Hands down, my favorite season is fall.  I love the changing leaves, the subtle chill in the air, and the comforting feel of being cozy and warm in my favorite sweater.

But something happened this year.

I think it was the severity of winter.  The endless winter weather storm warnings, the huge mounds of snow piled as far as the eye could see, the bitterly cold air that sucked the life right out of me.

This year, I have craved spring.

If I close my eyes I can get lost in the thought… the warmth of the sun on my skin, the baby blossoms emerging from a seemingly lifeless tree, the hope of something new.

Uh, where was I again?

Oh yeah.  Cake.

IMG_8267.stamp

Pink and yellow danced around the outside of this cake.

The inside, however, was a whole nother story!  (Sadly, I brought this cake to my in-laws for Easter and failed to get a picture of the inside.  My apologies!)

I made a chocolate hazelnut cake with a vanilla hazelnut buttercream frosting.

I have to admit, I sorta loved it.

The chocolate was luscious and scrumptious and toothsome.

I just learned the word toothsome and have been dying to use it.  It means delicious or tasting very good. I think we need to get toothsome its rightful place back in common language.

I am just thankful that there is another word I can use that means delicious.  I say delicious a lot.  Like… in every single post I write.  I have an addiction to the word!

But no more!  From now on I am saying toothsome!

You’ve been warned.

IMG_8334.stamp2

IMG_8282.stamp

I must tell you though, the combination of this cake and frosting is sweet.  As in your teeth might tingle from the sweet.  As in you might lapse into a sugar induced coma sweet.

I have painstakingly trained my taste buds and body to accept mass doses of sugar for most of my life, so I can take it.  My hubby had to take a break while eating it.

Lightweight.

Think you can take it? 😉

Comments

• kristen says:

Can you tell us how you did the piping? Mine never turn out.

• Shaina says:

Love chocolate and hazelnuts! Can’t wait to try this, Amanda.

• bridget {bake at 350} says:

Oh, yeah….I can handle it.
    Not only does is sound *delicious*, but it is so, so pretty, Amanda!
    And you are moving to Texas, when exactly?

• Amanda Rettke says:

Oh gosh Kristen! I am sorry I didnt think of that. I will definitely try to get a tutorial for this frosting technique asap! 🙂

• Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies says:

LOL. Love that you call the hubs a lightweight! I’m not sure I could handle it, but it sure does look good.
    I have another word for you: The Brits call things “morish” – as in “That’s so good, I want MORE!”. Such a great word to describe things like Cheezits, popcorn.. Cadbury Mini Eggs…

• Paula says:

Very pretty cake Amanda. It looks like more than two layers, just wondering how many of the 8″ round pans were used in this recipe.

• Lisa C. says:

I love how you take the simplest design and make it look like a work of art. I wanna be like you when I grow up…

• Cookbook Queen says:

This is gorgeous!! You cakes are always so neat and pretty.

• Nanette says:

Oooh, you could also use Frangelico… of which I have a bottle gifted to me during Christmas that I’ve yet to make use of… WIN!

• Jessica @ How Sweet says:

I love Fall too, but like you have been aching for Spring! Must have been all of the snow. This cake is beautiful Amanda!

• Kristen says:

So beautiful and I’m the same way… I love fall but I am so anxious for summer to get here this year!

• sweetsugarbelle says:

I have to admit I’m just the teensiest bit sad not to see the middle. And since I could in no way do this justice, I’m hoping it won’t be long til a repeat. Gorgeous and it looks toothsome. (Auto text didn’t know that word til just now) ps…maybe hubby needs sugar bootcamp so he can keep up 😉

• lara ramos says:

yum! our wedding cake was chocolate hazelnut and now i’m craving it 🙂

• marla {family fresh cooking} says:

I bet your family loved this Easter cake!! You know we all wanna see the inside. Guess you need to bake another cake to share. I’ll keep my eyes peeled 😉 xo
    Love the pink & yellow stripes.

• Renee says:

That looks marvelous and springy Amanda dear! 🙂 As I read, and saw the word ‘toothsome’ I kinda figured the meaning,but I thought wow that would be a good word to search on Swagbucks to be sure of the meaning, because I wanted to know for sure, plus wanted a chance to win some swagbucks LOL. You must have read my mind though because the next line in your blog defined the word. Thanks 🙂

• Robyn | Add a Pinch says:

This is such a gorgeous cake! I sure do wish you’d move down here near me. Oh no, that wouldn’t be good. I’d be over at your house all the time hoping to be your taste tester. It’s probably a really good thing you live far, far away. {But it would be a lot of fun, wouldn’t it?}

• Sandy says:

I saw this recipe via a re-tweet on Twitter. (Full Disclosure: I work for LorAnn Oils). I read that the cake was very sweet and wanted to suggest trying LorAnn’s Hazelnut Super-Strength Flavoring instead of the syrup. Our flavors are unsweetened and would require only 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon to flavor the cake. To make this adjustment, the liquid in the recipe would need to be increased (1-1/2 cups buttermilk) to replace the 1/2 cup of syrup. A few drops is all it would take to flavor the buttercream frosting too.
    Happy Baking!

• K says:

Very Pretty….would also like to see a tutorial on the piping:)

• Sandy says:

Oops, the flavor is actually called “Creamy Hazelnut”. 🙂

• Dottie says:

Everytime I think it can’t get better, it does. Do you ever sleep at night without designing beauties. Just stunning design. This is perfect for my granddaughters Birthday cake. All of her favorite colors can be used and still be appetizing.
    Many thanks again for making me look good.

• Gwendolyn says:

I am a confirmed Chocoholic….and coming in second to my addition to chocolate is Hazlenut. If I don’t have my Hazelnut coffee with Hazlenut creamer each morning I am a MESS. Well I think this will be the PERFECT cake for me. If it is too sweet for others…well so be it. That leaves more for ME! I am anxious to see the turorial for the piping. GREAT JOB!!

• Gwendolyn says:

BTW….I read that you might be moving to TX? Is it to late to try and get you to come to Missouri and be my neighbor? 🙂 I would be a gracious taste tester and also student of all things beautifully baked. LOL

• Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} says:

stunning spring cake! Let the sun wrap us in warmth after such a cold winter 🙂 Beautiful icing!

• Ana Powell says:

A master piece and so divine ♥

• Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says:

I seriously just want to sit and stare at your cakes – they’re always SO amazingly beautiful.