Chocolate Hazelnut Cake

filed under: Miscellaneous on April 25, 2011

Hands down, my favorite season is fall.  I love the changing leaves, the subtle chill in the air, and the comforting feel of being cozy and warm in my favorite sweater.

But something happened this year.

I think it was the severity of winter.  The endless winter weather storm warnings, the huge mounds of snow piled as far as the eye could see, the bitterly cold air that sucked the life right out of me.

This year, I have craved spring.

If I close my eyes I can get lost in the thought… the warmth of the sun on my skin, the baby blossoms emerging from a seemingly lifeless tree, the hope of something new.

Uh, where was I again?

Oh yeah.  Cake.

IMG_8267.stamp

Pink and yellow danced around the outside of this cake.

The inside, however, was a whole nother story!  (Sadly, I brought this cake to my in-laws for Easter and failed to get a picture of the inside.  My apologies!)

I made a chocolate hazelnut cake with a vanilla hazelnut buttercream frosting.

I have to admit, I sorta loved it.

The chocolate was luscious and scrumptious and toothsome.

I just learned the word toothsome and have been dying to use it.  It means delicious or tasting very good. I think we need to get toothsome its rightful place back in common language.

I am just thankful that there is another word I can use that means delicious.  I say delicious a lot.  Like… in every single post I write.  I have an addiction to the word!

But no more!  From now on I am saying toothsome!

You’ve been warned.

Vanilla Hazelnut Buttercream

Ingredients

This recipe has no ingredients

Instructions

This recipe has no instructions

IMG_8282.stamp

I must tell you though, the combination of this cake and frosting is sweet.  As in your teeth might tingle from the sweet.  As in you might lapse into a sugar induced coma sweet.

I have painstakingly trained my taste buds and body to accept mass doses of sugar for most of my life, so I can take it.  My hubby had to take a break while eating it.

Lightweight.

Think you can take it? 😉

Comments

• HeatherChristo says:

Another beautiful and toothsome recipe Amanda!

• Meghan @ Cupcakes with Sprinkles says:

It looks amazing! I guess I will have to make it to make sure the inside lives up to the beauty on the outside…

• Rowaida Flayhan says:

Beautiful cake love the recipe.

• shari says:

salivating as I type!!!!!
          Gotta say…………either you have very quiet, well behaved kids, baby include, or you never sleep!!!!!!!!! Just the fact that you have time to get this newsletter out, let alone bake, and stay slim at the same time, amazes me!!!!!!!!!!!!
          I gain 5 pounds, looking at every recipe, then another few making them!
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

• Dulces Suspiros says:

Me encanta!!!! Es maravilloso.

• Tracy says:

My favorite season is fall too, but you’re right, this year I’ve really been excited about spring and the warmer weather. What a lovely cake!!

• boogie says:

i don’t think i could ever pipe that beautifully and perfectly in a million years. lovely lovely cake you have here!

• Amy's blah, blah, blogging says:

I’d definitely say that was toothsome. My mouth is literally watering from looking at it. I’m so not kidding. 🙂

• Memoria says:

Awww, and I came here just to see the inside of the cake! I’m not crazy about pink and floral colors, but the cake still looks nice!

• Tricia says:

Gorgeous cake, as usual! I had to laugh about your not getting a photo of the inside of the cake. Since I started blogging I am always thinking of the food photos I am going to take. It is all I can do to resist from pulling out my camera when I bring new dessert somewhere and it is served!!

• kristinem says:

I just had to comment – I made your hydrangea cupcakes this weekend, and they turned out beautifully! I made blue and lavender, green and white, pink and lavender, and pink and white. They made a stunning addition to our Easter table – thank you for the idea!

• Lexi says:

That is a gorgeous cake. I love the springy colours. My favorite season is summer but spring is something I definitely crave after a long winter(which we are still experiencing in Alberta)!

• SeriousCakes says:

Annnnd now I need cake. Boy that sounds good, I might try pairing it with some pb buttercream though. Have you tried flavored coffees with that recipe? Our local grocery store carries about 20 different kinds, so far I’ve used the flavors hazelnut creme and caramel nut crunch, both very toothsome in a chocolate cake. The best part is that they come in these little 2 serving bags so when I go I stock up on every flavor I can get my hands on.

• Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

Darn you! Now I want to know what the inside of the cake looked like. Well regardless, it looks very “toothsome”, lol. I like it, I’m going to work that into everyday conversation, see if it sticks.

• Ally Lynn says:

This looks so good! I plan on trying it sometime soon!

• Margee says:

Wow, this looks so bright and Springy. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks for the recipe!

• Londa says:

So beautiful! I can’t imagine how delicious this cake must taste! Does your family realize how lucky they are to have you providing sweet treats?!?
          By the way…how cool are you being tracked down by Creative Kidstuff toy store to be a guest local blogger?!?! We have a store just two blocks from our house and frequent the place way too often! Can I give my hair a little red and go as your impersonator? You’re just too cool for school!

• Evan @swEEts says:

I’m going to be on the search for that syrup! This sounds fabulous.. I have quite a sweet tooth so I think I could handle it 🙂

• Candice says:

Such a pretty cake! I’m in love with the colours. I’d love to know how to do the piping on the sides like that too!

• paddle attachment says:

Oh my gosh, could your simple cake designs be any more elegant and beautiful?! And I still can’t believe that you have a newborn at home….

• Lori @ RecipeGirl says:

So pretty. Wish I could do that!

• Wenderly says:

*Happy*
          Just looking at this cake evokes happiness in me. I can only imagine what a joy it must be to taste.

• Rebecca Cash says:

Thanks for posting! I enjoy viewing your post and admire your talents!

• Maria says:

Absolutely stunning! And I love hazelnut anything!

• Joanna @ Southern Daisy says:

What a beautiful cake! I’m sure it tasted very toothsome!! 🙂