Apple Cream Cheese Bars are dessert bars full of sweetened apples and a cream cheese layer, topped and baked with oatmeal crumble. It is a cross between a cheesecake and apple crisp that will sure to be a crowd favorite. Try my Apple Crisp for another apple dessert favorite!
Apple Cream Cheese Bars
These Apple Cream Cheese Bars are delicious with or without the caramel drizzle. If you want more of the caramel apple pie flavor, add some caramel to the top. Or, just enjoy them as-is for a sweet apple dessert or treat.
What Kind of Apple is Best for These Bars?
I used Granny Smith apples for the recipe because they remain firm when baking. They won’t turn to mush and they tend to retain their shape when baked.
A few other options you could try would be Honeycrisp apples, Braeburn, or Pink Lady apples.
From-Scratch Caramel Sauce
If you want to make some caramel sauce completely from scratch for the caramel drizzle, here is an easy recipe. Caramel Sauce Recipe.
How Long Will These Bars Last?
Once you taste the sweet and creamy layers of these bars, they will not last long! However, if you have to make them ahead of time, they will last in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
Can I Use a Different Sized Pan?
Sorry, but I don’t recommend a smaller pan as the bar layers will be too thick and not cook correctly.
Apple Cream Cheese Bars
- 1 cup (80g) quick-cooking oats
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (400g) packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups (3 sticks or 340g) butter, melted
CREAM CHEESE MIXTURE
- 2 packages (16 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Caramel topping, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Pour melted butter over the mixture and mix together until crumbly.
- Measure out 2 cups of the mixture, and set aside to reserve for topping.
- Pour the remaining mixture into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish. Press firmly to the bottom of the pan.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a golden brown.
Cream Cheese Mixture
- In a large bowl, add cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Mix with a hand mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- With the mixer on low, add the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated into the mixture.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Arrange apples on top of the cooked crust.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over the top of the apples.
- Crumble the reserved oat mixture over the top.
- Bake 40-45 minutes.
- Let come to room temperature before serving.
- Drizzle with caramel topping when you are ready to serve (optional).
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.