Banana Simple Syrup is simple to make and gives that pure banana flavor that you would not find in a premade bottle of banana simple syrup. With the ease of making simple syrup, it is fun to try new flavors and varieties! You might also like my Simple Syrup recipe and Chocolate Simple Syrup.
Banana Simple Syrup
Simple syrup is something that you will want to have around as soon as you realize how easy (and cheap) it is to make. It can be added to any drink to sweeten it up, and this Banana Simple Syrup is just as easy to make, but with a real banana flavor. It’s perfect to use in my Ultimate Banana Pudding recipe! (I poured some of it over the vanilla wafers.) Usually, a basic simple syrup recipe has a 1:1 sugar water ratio, but for flavored syrups, there is generally more sugar used (as I did😀).
Banana Simple Syrup Recipe
Most people have sugar and water in their kitchens. If you do, you can make simple syrup. Add some salt and bananas to the mix and you have Banana Simple Syrup.
Ingredients (full recipe below)
- Granulated sugar
- Ripe bananas
How to Make Banana Simple Syrup
In about a half an hour, you can have Banana Simple Syrup ready to pour over some vanilla pudding or ice cream. It’s even delicious added to drinks!
- First, get out a saucepan and place it over medium heat.
- Add the sugar, water, and salt. Whisk these three ingredients together until the mixture is brought to a low boil. This will probably take about 10 minutes or so.
- Next, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the saucepan, simmering it for about 10 minutes. Be sure to whisk it occasionally.
- After the mixture simmers for the first ten minutes, chop the bananas and add them to the mixture, simmering for another 10 minutes.
- Strain out the bananas, trying to get as much of the syrup off the bananas as you can. (If you notice a lot of syrup sticking to the bananas, just rinse them quickly with a tablespoon or two of hot water while you are straining them.) Use the bananas for my Ultimate Banana Pudding!
- After the syrup has cooled, store it in an air-tight container, in the refrigerator, for up to 3 weeks. I like to store mine in a bottle that has easy pouring and can close tightly.
Banana Simple Syrup
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 ripe bananas, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, add sugar, water, and salt. Whisk frequently and bring the mixture to a low boil (8-10 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Add chopped banana pieces, simmering for 10 more minutes.
- Strain out the bananas.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.