These beer brownies are a great way to treat dad… or anyone who loves delicious chocolatey brownies! (They just might be dad’s favorite brownie!!) Just in case you want the best (beerless) brownie recipes, you can try my Homemade Brownie Mix, Zucchini Brownies, and the Best Brownies!
These beer brownies are a great way to treat dad… or anyone who loves delicious chocolatey brownies! (They just might be dad’s favorite brownie!
- 1 1/2 cups (188g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (64g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces or 118 ml) canola oil
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces or 118 ml) beer - I used a mild IPA
- 1 cup (8 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x9 baking pan and line with parchment paper. Make sure the paper goes up over the sides, this will help with easy removal.
Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and canola oil.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir well to combine.
- Mix in the melted butter and beer, stirring until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Reserve a few for the top. Try to not overmix brownie batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and cover with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake 30–32 minutes until the brownies are slightly firm to the touch.
Cool in pan for 5 minutes then remove and set on wire rack to cool completely. (although they are fantastic when warm!)
To make these brownies you will need:
Brownie recipe (below)
9×9 square baking pan
parchment paper & baking release spray
Tips for Beer Brownie Success
Room temperature ingredients are wise! Even the beer. 🙂
You may have noticed that there are no leavening agents in this recipe and that is because of the beer. I would not substitute other forms of alcohol (wine, vodka, etc.) for beer in this recipe. Here is a great recipe for Homemade Brownies that you can modify to your heart’s content!
I recommend lining the pan with parchment paper for easy removal.
FAQ’s About Beer Brownies:
Do the brownies taste like beer?
No, they just have a slightly different flavor. If you KNEW there was beer in them you might be able to detect, but if you did not know it would taste like something is special. But it would be hard to detect!
Are these brownies cake-like or fudgy?
They are thick and more cake-like. Definitely rich and dense with flavor.
Can I make them in a 9×13 pan?
Yes, but they will not be as thick as pictured.
Can I use a light beer?
Yes, I believe you can, although I have not ever tested that specifically. I would recommend making sure it is a beer you enjoy drinking.
I hope you enjoy these Beer Brownies as much as we did!
Be sure to check out my ORIGINAL RECIPE Brownie Pie too! (If you see this recipe elsewhere, it was inspired by mine!)