I am a sucker for a good brownie recipe. I like consistently good brownies. I like it to have a flaky crust. I like it chewy inside. I like to taste chocolate. I wanted the best homemade BROWNIE RECIPE and this is it! I use this recipe in my Brownie Cookies and Cookie Dough Brownie Cake!
Brownies Made with Homemade Brownie Mix?
When it comes to baking I also love convenience. And being able to dump stuff in a bowl and make magic. So this is my attempt to capture the ease of a box brownie mix but without the other icky stuff.
Homemade Brownie Mix Uses
This recipe tastes amazing and easily lends itself to adaptations. For instance, you can add any sort of chocolate chip, white chocolate chip, M&M’s, Nutella, etc. You can also easily double the recipe or pair the brownie mix with frosting. It is also the recipe I used for my Salted Caramel Marshmallow Brownie Hi-Hats!
One thing to note, this brownie mix recipe is not huge. It yields 9 brownies. And is made all in one bowl!
Optional Add-Ins for Brownies
- Morsels – milk chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch, you name it! I use about 1/2 – 3/4 cup total.
- Nuts – again, any you prefer. About 3/4 cup works perfectly.
- Nutella – drizzle it on the brownie batter in the pan and swirl if you want it fancy!
- Oreos or other cookies – rough chop on top or add about 1 cup to batter.
- To make the brownie in the first image from this post, I added chocolate chips to the recipe as well as a couple on top after I took them out of the oven.
Can These Brownies be Gluten Free?
I haven’t tested it personally, but a number of readers have said that they use a good quality 1:1 Gluten Free Flour blend in place of all-purpose in this recipe with success.
Coffee in Brownies?
Adding coffee to brownies is one of those most amazing ways to enhance and uplift the chocolate flavor. There is no coffee in this recipe, but I do have another Brownie Recipe that does. If you want to add coffee, I suggest adding instant espresso powder. Instant coffee powder will work in a pinch!
Perfect Brownie Frosting
Here is the perfect chocolate frosting made just for these brownies! My secret ingredient is the perfect complement to the perfect homemade brownie recipe.
How to Store & Freeze Brownies
You can store the mix in an airtight container in your pantry for 6 months or the life of the ingredients.
Brownies are best in an airtight container at room temperature and will last 2 days.
To freeze, wrap them with plastic wrap and then place them into an airtight container, in a freezer-safe plastic storage bag, or wrap them again with aluminum foil. Be sure to label them with the date.
When you are ready to enjoy the brownies again, remove them from the freezer and place them in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter. Once they reach room temperature you are ready to enjoy them.
How to Get Ooey Gooey Brownies
Here is my BIG SECRET DON’T TELL ANYONE TIP: Remove them 5-7 before they are done. This is not recommended if you are opposed to eating brownie batter!! But if you love ooey gooey chocolate brownie amazingness then it is worth trying. 🙂
More Brownie Recipes
Homemade Brownie Mix
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ cup (64g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup (113g) butter, melted, then cooled
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare an 8x8inch pan with non-stick spray.
- Sift (or whisk) together granualted sugar, cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Melt butter and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat two eggs and vanilla extract with a hand-held mixer.
- Add the egg mixture and melted butter to the dry ingredients. Stir until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-22 minutes.
On a gift tag or label write the wet ingredients and quantities and then directions. “Melt butter and set aside to cool slightly. In a medium bowl, beat two eggs with the vanilla. Add in and gently stir dry ingredients. Pour the melted butter into brownie mixture and mix until just incorporated. Spread batter in a prepared 8-inch square pan and bake for 20-22 minutes at 350 degrees.”
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Such a straightforward recipe and so yummy! My “add ins” are caramel bits! Love them!!!! Will be making the mix to store in the pantry for “emergencies!” Thank you for sharing all that you do!!!
ps….reading comments on your recipes, how do you not cry yourself to sleep at night or drink????
Two things: they are a bit overly sweet. I was thinking about cutting the sugar to 3/4 cup. Also, I want to double and make in a 9×13 because I’m switching from store-bought to homemade snacks/desserts as much as I can manage. 3 kids… temp and time adjustments? Otherwise, made this recipe many times with the same problem: always bit too sweet.
Note to self: don’t double the recipe.
Mistakes were made. Lesson learnt.
These are so good!! I added walnuts for an extra treat😍
Love this easy brownie recipe. Never going back to a box mix. Just made it for the third time. Thank you.
Very good and simple instructions!