Having this classic recipe in your recipe box is a must! These perfect Chocolate Cupcakes are paired with the most amazing Chocolate Frosting. These amazing moist chocolate cupcakes will be your new favorite! Don’t miss my Best Chocolate Cake or favorite Cookie Recipes! <3
This has been a literal labor of love! I have tested recipes from every major recipe source and have not been able to find the one I considered to be perfect. My ideal recipe is one that is perfectly domed, which has the right amount of chocolate, that has a light and moist crumb.
This. Is. It.
Look no further… this is the BEST Chocolate Cupcake Recipe! What makes this recipe different? Two ingredients that are not the “norm” in most chocolate cupcake recipes; sour cream and real melted chocolate. They do amazing things to this cupcake!
Not only is this the perfect chocolate cupcake, but I think I have found the perfect chocolate frosting. Let me tell you a little bit about why: this is a cream cheese based chocolate frosting which is a perfect complement to a rich and decadent chocolate cupcake. You get a slightly enhanced (amplified) chocolate flavor with the frosting that is then paired with a natural and pure chocolate cupcake.
It’s cupcake magic!
I was surprised at how well this frosting held up to being piped. It holds its shape but remains soft, light, airy, and fluffy.
Here is a little video on how I did that!
Best Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe:
If you have my book, Surprise Inside Cakes, you know that my chocolate cake recipe uses sour cream. I am a big fan of Sour Cream Chocolate Cake and love that I was able to incorporate it into cupcakes. I also love how thick it makes the batter; you can scoop it with an ice cream scoop and every single cupcake will be perfectly proportioned.
The better quality ingredients you use, the better your cupcakes and frosting will taste. Try for room temperature ingredients when making these chocolate cupcakes and chocolate frosting.
Is it the same as my Best Chocolate Cake recipe? NO! Chocolate cakes and cupcakes are different in terms of chemistry. They bake for different periods of time in different qualities and the recipe needs to reflect and adapt to those changes. It is best to use a cake recipe for cakes, and a cupcake recipe for cupcakes.
This chocolate frosting is not your grandma’s chocolate frosting. There is a slightly tangy flavor… it is for that reason that I highly recommend it with this specific cupcake recipe. They truly complement each other perfectly. If you are a true chocolate aficionado, try bittersweet chocolate in the cupcake AND frosting. You will be pleasantly surprised at how much of that pure chocolate flavor comes through.
This Chocolate Cupcakes recipe is perfection!
Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes with Ultimate Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113g) unsalted butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup (115g) sour cream, room temperature
- ½ cup (42g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup (95g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chips or chopped
- 1½ cups (3 sticks or 339g) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups (250g) confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup (30g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 -5 tablespoons brewed hot coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. This recipe makes 12-14 cupcakes, so prepare one pan (or maybe two) with cupcake liners.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between each time. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and sour cream and whisk on medium speed until smooth. (about 1 minute)
- In a medium sized bowl, sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until thoroughly combined.
- Add the cooled butter/chocolate to the stand mixer and whisk until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time with the stand mixer on low.
- As soon as you are done adding the flour turn the mixer off. (You do not want to over-mix!)
- The batter will be very thick.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with batter. Bake for 15-18 minutes. The center of the cupcake should spring back up if gently pressed.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Melt chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. (should be about 1 1/2 minutes total)
- Place room temperature butter and cream cheese in a stand mixer, starting on low, then increasing speed to medium-high. Cream together until light, fluffy, and a pale yellow.
- In a separate bowl, add 4 tablespoons of hot coffee to cocoa and stir. If the mixture is still very thick, you can add 1 more tablespoon of hot coffee.
- Turn the mixer off and add in cooled chocolate and cocoa/coffee mixture.
- Turn mixer on to the lowest setting and add in confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time. Once incorporated, turn mixer on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Frosting will darken as it sets.
- Make sure cupcakes are cool before frosting.
- Garnish with sprinkles (chocolate jimmies) if you want!
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.