Black Bottom Cupcakes are moist, chocolate cupcakes filled with a cream cheese mixture and both chocolate and peanut butter chips! It’s like getting a tasty surprise in each decadent bite! If you love cupcakes, check out all my Cupcake Recipes!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Cream Cheese Filling: For the distinctive filling of a Black Bottom Cupcake, cream cheese is mixed with granulated sugar, an egg, and salt. And, then, I made the filling even more interesting and delicious by adding chocolate and peanut butter chips!
Candy Chips: I have added both semi-sweet and peanut butter chips to this classic treat. I LOVE how the slightly salty peanut butter pairs with decadent rich chocolate and the creamy cream cheese filling. But, you can certainly use all of one kind of candy chip if preferred.
Hot Water: Adding hot water to the cupcake batter gives the cupcakes an even more intense chocolate flavor. You could also use freshly brewed hot coffee, too!
Cocoa Powder: I used a good quality regular, unsweetened cocoa powder in the chocolate cupcakes.
How To Store Black Bottom Cupcakes
Because Black Bottom Cupcakes are filled with a cream cheese center, it’s best to store them in the refrigerator. Keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Black Bottom Cupcakes
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup (67 g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (182 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (182 g) peanut butter chips
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup hot water, or freshly brewed hot coffee
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (187.5 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (29.5 g) regular unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the sugar, egg, and salt until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate and peanut butter chips. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners. (This recipe yields 20 cupcakes.)
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until well combined.
- Fill each lined muffin cup halfway with the batter.
- Top each with about 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake (not the filling) comes out with a few crumbs but no wet batter.
- Let the cupcakes cool for about 10 minutes before removing them from the muffin tins to cool completely.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.