Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole is the perfect spin on the traditional version with farm fresh eggs, breakfast sausage, and piles of crispy tater tots! If you like this, make sure to try my Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole and my Breakfast Strata as well!
Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Some people plan their week around dinnertime, not me. Breakfast, all the way. I love everything from a simple hard-boiled egg to a more complex pulled pork breakfast hash. For this breakfast tater tot hotdish, we took my family’s favorite tater tot hotdish recipe and transformed it into a breakfast meal that will bring smiles to all of the faces at your breakfast table! Hotdishes have been popular for years because they are not only delicious and crowd-pleasing but also very budget-friendly. You can feed a crowd with a 9×13 inch pan of tater tot hotdish, or, you can easily get two meals from one casserole.
Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
One of the best things about this casserole is that the ingredients are so incredibly simple. You will just need the following:
- Frozen Tater Tots (I like to get the mini tots or the caps)
- Salt and Pepper
- Onion Powder
- Breakfast Sausage (any kind will do – seasoned or regular)
- Cheddar Cheese
How to Make Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole
This Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole is best if broken up into two steps. Now, you can skip the first step and just add some cooking time in the end, but the results, when you add this first step in, are so worth the extra time! If you are anything like me, you like your tater tots crispy, not mushy.
Pre Cook the Tater Tots (PRO TIP)
This extra step is so worth it! Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lay the tater tots out on a prepared baking sheet and pop them in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Take them out and flip them and then pop them back in for another 10-15. You don’t need the tater tots to get fully crispy, just precooked enough that they will crisp up nicely in the final step.
Prepare the Casserole
While you are pre-cooking the tater tots, you can prepare the egg mixture. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and onion powder. This recipe calls for 9 eggs but if you want to bulk this recipe up you can certainly add more. Next, mix in your cooked sausage and half of the shredded cheddar cheese. Once this is all mixed together nicely, pour it into a greased 9×13 baking dish. Place the cooked tater tots on top in a single layer, being careful to cover the egg mixture completely. I know it is tedious, but setting them in one at a time really helps to ensure that you get an evenly cooked dish. This will bake for an additional 40 minutes. Remove it from the oven, and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
Additional Toppings for Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole
This dish, much like the original Tater Tot Hotdish, can be modified to your liking. Here are some ways you can switch things up (or use up leftovers if you need to!):
- Exchange sausage for diced ham or cooked bacon, or go vegetarian and skip the meat!
- Add sauteed onions, mushrooms, and peppers for a western Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole
- Add salsa and jalapenos for a Mexican Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole (top with Sour Cream!)
- Serve it up with ketchup or hot sauce
Breakfast Tater Tot hotdish is the perfect spin on the traditional version with farm fresh eggs, breakfast sausage, and piles of crispy tater tots! If you like this, make sure to try my Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole and my Breakfast Strata as well!
- 28 ounces frozen mini tater tots
- 9 eggs
- 1/2 cup (122.5 g) whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 16 ounces ground breakfast sausage, browned and drained
- 2 1/2 cups (282.5 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place Tater Tots on a sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes, flip and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and onion powder
- Add browned sausage and half of the cheese into the egg mixture, stir to combine.
- Pour egg mixture into greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Spread pre-cooked tater tots on top, ensuring that you cover the entire mixture.
- Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake for 5 more minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.
Looking for More Breakfast Recipes?
Make sure to try some of these family favorites!