Cake by the Numbers

filed under: Miscellaneous on August 5, 2011

IMG_5476.pinkycake2

I decided that I want to do something interactive here on iambaker.

*More on that in a moment.

Then I decided to give myself a challenge.

So then I grabbed a decorators tip and told myself that I would decorate three cakes with it.

And then I decided that the theme was numbers.

IMG_5292.tips

Here is the tip I chose.  Its a #150.  The shape is similar to an oblong rectangle.  Its pretty basic.

So how do I design three different cakes with one tip?

You can go nuts here and pick any theme or any inspiration that strikes your fancy, but I just decided to use numbers.  So the next job was how to interpret them into frosting.

So yeah, I just sorta copied them exactly.  Maybe I will "interpret" numbers next time.

IMG_5624.directions

IMG_5609.directions3

IMG_5610.directions

I liked how these turned out… its a simple, do-able, fun design that you can customize to any lucky recipient.

IMG_5387.pinknumberscake

I think "1" was my favorite.

IMG_5422.numberscake

Audrey adored "2".  The boys just wanted to eat them.

They can be customized for a little girls birthday or a tea party or make them blue and put a "You Did It" on the flag then surprise your kidlets on their first day home from school.

But there is more.

Here is where you come in.  I was hoping we could work together for the greater good of man.

Then make cakes and stuff.

You pick a decorators tip.

I will make three different cake designs from it using buttercream frosting.

Pick any tip.  If I don't have it, I will get it.

I will make cakes until you are sick of this little game and call your mom to come pick you up.

IMG_5441.numberscake

Here is where I totally lost focus of the cakes and started cutting hydrangea's in my yard and had visions of becoming a florist.

IMG_5365.eddie

And here is where I counted my blessings that I could make cakes, be outside in the beautiful sun, and still be spending time with the little people that I made. Birthed.  You know what I mean.

*blissful sigh*

IMG_5499.opinknumberscake

Back to work.

The challenge has been set.  Now its up to you.  I need you to help me focus.

You pick a decorators tip and give me the number and brand and I will get to bakin'.

Depending on the number of suggestions I will either pick a comment at random or just agree to that one that Cheryl has been buggin me about.

Ya know. If there are no other suggestions. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Comments

• bridget {bake at 350} says:

You are just amazing. I don’t care HOW I try to decorate a cake…it’s always ugly! I love all of these, but I especially love #2! ๐Ÿ™‚
    And Eddie!!! โ™ฅ

• the urban baker says:

Amanda – the cakes are great and I love the tip “tip”. But that baby and that yard and those metal buckets. If that is your back yard, I am moving in. Do you have room in your house for a family of 5? You are one blessed and talented lady. P.S. I have no suggestons…I merely follow your lead. You are my muse and my mentor!

• sweetsugarbelle says:

#2 is breathtaking!!! I selfishly want you to pick a tips and to cookies! Can you imagine #2 as a cookie?

• Anne M. says:

I was just practicing with different tips last month on cupcakes I made for my husband’s birthday. You were the inspiration for that! I’d like to see what you come up with using Wilton’s tip #199.
    P. S. Your baby son is adorable!!!

• trisha says:

they are all so amazing…I like #2 as well but again they are very delicate and whimsy looking…..I will have to take a look at my tips and give you a thought…I know wilton has this tip that looks like it has three little hearts on on it, I have wondered what that would look like. Take care. (oh baby…that baby is preciousness)

• Georgia says:

How do you make the top of the 7 cake?
    I love the pie pan as a cake plate.
    Little Eddie has grown so much. Must be from all the love.

• shelly (cookies and cups) says:

gorgeous, as usual…I would never think to do any of that with the same tip…maybe the stripe one, but never the “2” one..not in a million years

• Cookbook Queen says:

Love this idea, Amanda. I think the 2 is my favorite so far!! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I love how your cakes always have texture. They don’t even need extra stuff because the frosting does it all.

• meaghan says:

GENius. genius. What an incredible teacher you are to come up with this! I posted a link on edible crafts ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sue says:

You’re a creative genius! Gorgeous cakes~all of them. The munchkin is a doll:)
    I think the grass or leaf tip would be a challenge.

• Paula says:

I have a feeling that you are going to be inundated with responses and probably won’t have time to cut any more flowers let alone smell them! Good luck with this challenge, it certainly is unique, but then again, so are you!
    Baby Eddie is blossoming beautifully isn’t he.

• KC Quaretti says:

Oh my they are all beautiful but I’m slightly, well a lot really, partial to #7. I love the backet weave effect. Really enjoyed my visit here and I’ll be back often!
    KC

• Star says:

how about
    Bakery Crafts #134

• Qing @ Coolest-Party-Ideas says:

the cake looks so beautifulllllll.U r so talented.

• Sara says:

Beautiful photos of your work! And beautiful baby too ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Belmari says:

All of them are beautiful…any tip with your art , equals GREAT!!!!!

• Eddie Ross says:

Amanda,
    So glad you found our blog! Yours is great!! We will definitely be finding many tempting recipes here! Thanks for the inspiration.
    xo E + J

• Pinky572 says:

Gorgeous cakes! Ooh and a 97 tip would be great, I don’t even understand how to use that one!

• Amy says:

They all look so pretty! I can’t wait to try making them. Perhaps #1 to start with. Piping still scares me!!

• The Sky was never the Limit says:

Beautiful photographs, love cake #2!

• Florist, baker, AMAZING mom!! Girl you are awesome. These cakes are beautiful & I love the concept behind them. Eddie is darling ๐Ÿ™‚

• Barbara Bakes says:

I don’t know if I’m more jealous of your fabulous cake decorating skills or that you have hydrangeas in your backyard.

• Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen says:

Wonderful! And aww thanks for the little baby lovin picture in there ๐Ÿ™‚ Ack he is so cute!

• Kulsum at JourneyKitchen says:

Oh wow! You are AMAZING Amanda! Gosh how do I take part in this I don’t even know the number or name of different tips. Sigh!

• Sasha @ The Procrastobaker says:

I think you may just be my all time favourite blogger i really do! your posts are always so beautifully written and so interesting. And lets not forget the stars of the show, your gorgeous cakes! I want to eat every single one, particularly number 2, so pretty!