The bars are based off a recipe from my Mother-in-Law’s church cookbook and are called Magic Cookie Bars and they have been around for many, many years!
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 15 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, or semi-sweet
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup coconut flakes, the original calls for 1 1/2 cups, but I am not a coconut fan
Heat oven to 350°F.
Melt butter in microwave or small saucepan over low heat. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over bottom of 9x13 pan then pour butter over crumbs. Flatten out crumbs with fork and make sure butter is evenly incorporated.
- Evenly pour two cups of flavored chips over graham cracker crust.
- Pour condensed milk over chips.
- Cover with coconut flakes. (Or shredded coconut)
- Bake 25 minutes. Edges will be brown and center should not jiggle.
I literally made these Magic Cookie Bars 2 hours ago. Tonight my husband, kids and I are going to a small gathering and I could not be more happy about it. With all the events of the world of late, I feel so blessed that we are able to be with loving, caring people.
Even in the midst of personal trials and national devastation, I turned to something that always brings me joy. Baking.
Seven Layer Bars
These are traditionally called seven layer bars, but the reason I am calling them “garbage bars” is because I simply emptied out my pantry to make them.
The bars are based off a recipe from my Mother-in-Law’s church cookbook and been around for many, many years!
Instead of using semi-sweet chocolate and chopped nuts as the original recipe called for, I used 1/2 cup of four different kinds of treats.
Optional Ingredients for Magic Bars
1/2 cup Peanut Butter Chips
1/2 cup Milk Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup White Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup Butterscotch Chips
I thought they turned out pretty great!
Sweet… like -holy heck are they sweet- but great none the less.
Magic Bars Recipe
If you want to stick to the traditional recipe simply use 2 cups of chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet) and 1 cup chopped nuts. You can also use the traditional
Another fun variation? Try adding 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to the graham cracker crust!
I just love how “custom” these bars are. You can truly make them yours by using your favorite ingredients!