The ultimate comfort food! Hamburger Casserole is what home cooking is all about. Here in the midwest, I call it Hamburger Hotdish, but no one knows what I am talking about so casserole it is. If you love casserole’s try my Tater Tot Hotdish (casserole) too!
This recipe for Hamburger Casserole is easy to throw together and means you can have a hot dinner on the table quickly without having to sacrifice time with your family. It is seriously adaptable and feeds a crowd. Even the pickiest of eaters will love it. What’s not to love? 🙂
Another added bonus? Some say that this is even better heated up the next day. Leftovers are really not a thing around here, (seeing as I have 5 growing kids!) so I’ll have to take your word for it.
The ultimate comfort food, Hamburger Casserole is what home cooking is all about.
- ½ pound macaroni pasta, or use your favorite
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can Tomato Soup
- ½ teaspoon Dried Parsley, optional
Cook the pasta according to package directions, minus two minutes. Drain and return to pot away from heat. Set aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent. Add the beef and cook thoroughly, breaking up the meat into crumbles with a wooden spoon. (If your meat was fatty, drain it now.)
Pour over the cooked pasta.
- Stir in the soups and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to the prepared baking pan and sprinkle with paprika and parsley.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350°F or until bubbly.
How to Freeze Hamburger Casserole
My favorite way to freeze a casserole is to bake it in a disposable foil pan OR to line the casserole dish with foil before filling. If you bake it in the disposable pan you can freeze it as you normally would. If you are using the foil method, prepare your ingredients and place in the pan. (DO NOT BAKE!) Place the entire pan in your freezer to set (about 2 hours) and then remove. Wrap the casserole tightly and then place in a large freezer-safe plastic storage bag or wrap well with plastic wrap. It stacks easily in the freezer in this form! Be sure to label it as well. When ready to bake, remove from freezer and thaw overnight. If you need to bake it quickly, place the frozen casserole in a casserole dish covered about 15 minutes at 350°F. Remove the foil from the top (or carefully peel it back) and then bake for the full baking time. (Usually about 30 minutes) If thawed, remove the plastic wrap, uncover the top of the casserole and bake as directed.
What To Serve with Hamburger Casserole
Bread! This is a saucy recipe. When I think of saucy recipes I think of bread and dipping bread in the said sauce. Hook yourself up and whip up some no yeast breadsticks. While you are at it, make a double batch, these babies go with everything. You’re welcome. 😉 More options:
- Try sprinkling in some freshly grated mozzarella for a cheesy effect, or swapping out the ground beef for ground turkey to save on calories.
- Try making it with homemade cream of mushroom soup. This version is so much better than anything you could buy in a store. It is perfectly condensed with real mushrooms and I feel so much better feeding this to my family.
- Add seasonal veggies. Corn is a favorite as well as chopped asparagus. Try green peppers or jalapenos for garnish. Fresh herbs are always a plus!
- Change the noodle. I prefer a hearty noodle that the sauce can cling to, but truly anything you have works.