Homemade Pan Release {Baking Spray}

filed under: Cakes on August 7, 2015

Quite a few months ago I had a post on my facebook page about running out of Bakers Spray.  Lots of smart and seasoned bakers chimed in, and almost half of them suggested this weird thing called GOOP or Homemade Pan Release. I use this on all my bundt cakes, such as my award-winning Cream Cheese Pound Cake and Chocolate Pound Cake.

"Goop" ~ Homemade Pan Release. Cheap, Easy and Effective! You must try this recipe!

What is Homemade Pan Release?

Or GOOP as grandmas call it. It’s cheap.  It’s easy.  It works. The recipe is beyond simple. Take equal parts of:

• flour
  • vegetable oil
  • shortening

Blend them together. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 months. Thats it!

How to Use Homemade Pan Release

To use your ‘goop’, simply grab a pastry brush and spread a generous amount around your cake pan.  I re-loaded my brush about 3-4 times for one 8 in cake pan.  One thing that I am conscious of is the sides, I do not go all the way up the sides.  Try to only put the goop up as high as the batter would be. (about an inch)

If I use it all the way up the sides it tends to coat the cake around the edges as it bakes.  Not a problem per say, just a preference on my part. 🙂

Tips for Using Homemade Pan Release

I whisk my ingredients by hand, but you can certainly use a mixer.  If you use a mixer the ingredients will still be creamy but will be slightly fluffier right away.

For the most part, I do not allow the cakes to cool to room temperature in the pan, I try to remove them from oven and then invert them to a cooling rack.  In my experience, when the cakes were allowed to completely cool to room temperature in the pan they did not release as well.

Be generous with the goop.

Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.  When I left mine on the counter for an extended period of time it seemed to separate faster.  If you find the mixture separated at all, simply re-mix.

You can easily halve or even quarter this recipe.  I used the above recipe in about 5 months.  (I bake a lot.)

I have used this with success on all types of cake batter, thick and thin.  However, some people suggest using more ‘goop’ with chocolate cakes and runny batter.

This is one of my most requested “recipes” because it truly works. Once you try it you will be hooked!

5 from 12 votes
goop
Homemade Pan Release {Baking Spray}

A baker's best friend!

Course: Dessert
Cuisine: American
Keyword: Homemade Pan Release
Author: Amanda Rettke
Ingredients
  • 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup (205g) shortening
  • 1 cup (218g) oil
Instructions
  1. Place all ingredients in medium bowl and whisk well by hand. The mixture will be smooth and creamy.
  2. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.
  3. When ready to use:
  4. Dip a pastry brush into the mixture and spread over bottom and sides of cake pan.

Recipe Rating

Comments

• Linda says:

Could you use Virgin Coconut oil instead of shortening

• deehi says:

I bought the stuff to make this and I’m excited to try it. I am a bit confused on one thing though. I have read several of your other posts and recipes where you refer to this as a “spray.” But why do you call it spray when you say to use a brush with it? I can’t find anywhere where you mentioned making it into a spray. Please help! Thx

• Elizabeth Keeney says:

Hi, deehi! I work with iambaker and am happy to help with questions. The Homemade Pan Release is brushed on, and it is a wonderful alternative if you find yourself out of the nonstick spray. I hope this helps, and have a great day!

• Tink says:

Thank you!! I had never heard of this, but I’m going to make some tomorrow!

• Emma says:

Hi, there is no shortening that I know of where I live/South Ouest France/ what can I replace with svp?

• Esther says:

Can you use this in a chiffon cake pan

• Cheryl Hughes says:

Thxs this is aeesome

• Donna says:

I love the sounds of these recipes and u can’t wait to try the goop. Keep these coming ❤️

• Angie says:

Absolutely love this! I’ve used it so many times to save so many of my recipes. Thank you!

• Walle Earles says:

Love your Wedsite! I want to try GOOP but don’t keep shortening around. I want to substitute butter, or coconut oil. Tell me why not and go buy some shortening.
    Thanks

• Diane K Bell says:

Making and using it today starting the new year off correctly by saving a little thank you

• Amanda Rettke says:

Great job, Diane!

• Tywanna Kinnie says:

I have been using this recipe since i found it , i have not had any issues with any cakes not being release in pans.

• Jj says:

Yay!
    Sounds great.
    Cant wait, will mix up some today.

• Claire wilding says:

Where did I go wrong , I made this today with high hopes but Victoria sandwich stuck in the bottom of the tin! The only thing it may have been is I did cool in the tin ?

• Eileen Coltun says:

When a recipe calls to butter and flour the pan, can goop replace the butter and then still need to flour also?

• Amanda Rettke says:

Goop can replace it. 🙂

• Carol says:

How long does the goop stay fresh or last? Does it have to be refrigerated or leave on the counter?

• Janet Jenkins says:

I am in my 70’s and have been making this for the greater part of my baking life. When I tell folks about this they are completely sold. It is fabulous. I have never had any baked item stick to the pan. One other thing I mention to them is to brush your pans from bottom to top on the sides of the pan, as that is the way the batter will rise. We call it Pan Coat, not Goop. Going to try your chocolate cake, sounds delicious.

• Rebecca Reitze says:

It’s been asked a couple of different ways but not answered.
    What do YOU mean by ‘shortening’???
    Lard? Solid Crisco (as averse to Crisco oil), solid coconut oil, butter????

• Amanda Rettke says:

I use Crisco. Shortening, by definition, is solid.

• Becky says:

I love this. I grew up in a bakery family. My dad made this to use on the bakery pans but we called it schmear because you would schmear it all over the pans!

• Christine says:

I put the goop on Nordic Ware train cakelet pans with success on one pan and total failure on the other. I couldn’t get the cakes out at all! Where did I go wrong? I used a boxed cake mix. Is it the mix? Please help!

• Elizabeth Keeney says:

I work with iambaker and am happy to help out with questions!
      Hi, Christine! Sorry that happened to you. Be very generous with the goop, making sure to cover every last inch of your pan. Also, be sure to remove the cake before it cools completely.

• Phyllis Lewandowski says:

May I use coconut oil in place of Crisco? What vegetable oil do you recommend. This goop is just what I need.

• Elizabeth Keeney says:

Hi, Phyllis! I work with iambaker and am happy to help with questions. We have not tried using coconut oil in place of Crisco, but some readers have used it with success. As for oil, it needs to be any tasteless oil. I hope this helps. Have a great day!

• Penny says:

Hi, I am making the Chocolate cream cheese Bunt cake
    What is shortening, I am from Australia and this is not a term we use. Is it butter, margarine?

• Elizabeth Keeney says:

Hi, Penny! I work with iambaker and am happy to help with questions. Shortening is lard, or you could use butter or margarine in place of the shortening. If you use butter or margarine, for every 1 cup shortening, replace it with 1 cup butter or margarine plus and extra 2 tablespoons. I hope this helps, and have a great day!

• Pamela says:

Was wondering about how much GOOP this recipe yields. Any idea, ballpark figure of 1 cup or 2 cups or something along that line? I’m thinking of doing several gifts and I’m just wondering how many batches I may need to do. Thanks

• Martha Daley says:

I can not find your universal recipes for cake mixes,cookies,etc.They are kinda like bisquick and can be stored and pull out to make the basic items quickly. They then can be stored in the pantry,,

• Wendy Oakes says:

Amazing – do not waste your money on commercial cake release sprays anymore!

Made up with 50g flour/50ml rapeseed oil/50g flora buttery (can’t get Crisco in the UK). Mix is quite yellow but planned to use with vanilla sponge so I thought it would be fine.

Used for the first time with nordicware brilliance Bundt pan with perfect cake release. No more greasing and flouring ever again for me!

I’m so impressed with the results and my beautiful cake, wish I could upload a photo.