How To Package and Ship Cookies

filed under: Cookies on February 25, 2011

How to Pack up Cookies for Mailing! Find out how to PROS do it!

One question I get asked all the time is, “How do you ship cookies?”

Most of the time I answer, “Very carefully!”

Oddly, people fail to see the humor in that.

But I think I am ready to share with you how I ship cookies, most of the time.

This works for me because I often do round or square cookies. If you are baking cookies with small apendages or delicate arms and legs, I highly recommend using Bridgets method.

The reason I use this particular format is this;

Once upon a time Brides Magazine emailed and asked if I would ship them some facebook cookies for their magazine.

Um, yes. Yes I will.

When I walked into UPS carrying the precious cookie cargo, I explained in great (and annoying) detail how each and every cookie must arrive in mint condition and there was no room for error.

This is what they (the professionals) did. (interpreted by me)

IMG_0073.supplies

Supplies I use. (Not pictured: packing popcorn. My sweet post office guy always gives me some.)

IMG_0081.cookeis

First I started out by wrapping each cookie in parchment paper. I them placed it in their own bag. I often double up the cookies to save room and matericals.

To double up just place cookies back to back and wrap parchment around.

IMG_0092.cookie

In the image above the front cookie is not packaged correctly.

The cookie in the package behind IS packed correctly, as it is wrapped in parchment.

If you are sending a cookie that does not have glaze on it you may be able to skip this step.

(I have found that the glaze icing I use can end up sticking to the bags if I do not use the parchment around them.)

IMG_0101.collage

They (the professionals) wrapped each cookie package in bubble wrap. So I wrap each cookie in bubble wrap.

They (the professionals) filled up a bigger then you would think you would need box with packing popcorn.

They (the professionals) placed the cookies in the box sporadically, filling in between with more popcorn.

They (the professionals) closed the box and sent me on my way trying to not laugh in my face for being so freaked out about cookies.

IMG_0072.stamp

This cookies was for a science themed party for sweet Nicholas who is turning two. The invite said, “Our Little Monster is turning two.” Ha! Love that.

I think that about covers it! If you have any questions, please feel free to leave them on this post, and I will go ahead and answer them right here. ๐Ÿ™‚

I use this BEST SUGAR COOKIE recipe. ย Once you try it you will be hooked!

Comments

• Jenn {Cookies Cupcakes Cardio} says:

Great advice, thanks! Do you have any suggestions for shipping cupcakes?

• sarah says:

Looks great! Love your blog!!

• Paula says:

oh, thank you for sharing this! it`s really helpful for me and I`m sure, that for other people too. I`d like to make such wonderful cookies as yours, by the way and I`m still trying. Some of the effects you can find on my blog ๐Ÿ™‚

• Londa says:

Love the parchment paper tip! I bet the people on the other end are ALWAYS happy to received a shipment from YOU!

• Lucy Lean says:

Can’t wait to get cookies from you!

• Robyn | Add a Pinch says:

You are so talented – even when it comes to shipping your gorgeous cookies. Those cookies in these pictures are adorable!

• Sheena says:

Hi Amanada,
    This isn’t really related but I did want to say I never miss any of your updates and you are truly and inspiring artist. Your designs are so simple yet complex and you take such pride in your work it just melts my heart.
    I did my own take on your simple rose cake and I wanted to let you know – I did give you credit and thanks again for the tutorial. ๐Ÿ™‚

• amber says:

I know this post is about cookies, but since you do cakes, how to you cover them or transport them? Do you order big cake boxes, covers, etc?

• amber says:

When you create special cakes, how would you transport them to the place you were going to attend? Such as birthday party, office party? I have such a hard time finding boxes large enough for cakes that are several layers. I’m sure fondant covered cakes are okay without covers, but what about just the ones with buttercream frosting?

• Kristie says:

Dearest Amanda,
    I was just browsing through your blog and noticed Nicholas’ cookies!! They arrived in tip-top shape…not a single one was broken or smudged!! And of course, everyone not only loved your beautiful designs but they thoroughly enjoyed the taste! They are the best sugar cookies I’ve ever had! Thank you so much for making Nicholas’ birthday extra special with your amazing cookies! You’re truly the best!

• Claire says:

Thanks for the tips! Further tip is to use a shipping service to ship the cookies….they offer super cheap rates. I use them when shipping cookies to my grandkids about once a month. Hope it helps.
    -Claire

• c says:

It’s THAN you think you would need, not then. Then is a period of time.

• UPS lenexa says:

Very useful information! Thank you so much! Great packaging tips!

• Jeanetta says:

Hello, what about shipping in the heat ๐Ÿ™‚

• Amanda says:

That is a beast all in its own. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Saeweard says:

What do you do with the heat? I use this type of icing as well. I have thought about trying a dry ice pack but haven’t tempted yet!

• Amanda says:

I dont typically ship in intense heat. If necessary, I ship overnight with cooling packs. Thanks!

• Jen says:

what is packing popcorn?

• Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom says:

I love this post!!! perfect timing!!

• Julie Walker says:

Hi Amanda– I love to bake and so I send a lot of packages of cookies to friends at college. What would you suggest for keeping the cookies moist and not hardening up? I know Cooks Illustrated did a article on something similar, and they suggested tortilla wedges. What would you suggest? I usually do the 2-day shipping method, but I’d like them to be in a decent condition upon arriving at their destination. Thanks!

• Amanda says:

The tortilla wedges is a great option! I sometimes use bread, and it serves the same purpose. With glazed sugar cookies I think you can safely ship in 2 days without drying. ๐Ÿ™‚

• free physic reading by phone. says:

This piece of writing will assist the internet people for creating new weblog or even a blog from start to end.

• Jennie Cole says:

I find that packing the cookies in a covered tin then placing the bubblewrapped tin in a box is a good way to go. I’ve never had a problem using this method, but I also don’t attempt to ship especially delicate cookies. I also freeze my cookies and like to ship them right out of the freezer. Again, most cookies withstand (and even benefit) from this, except especially delicate ones. Now if I could only find a way to ship them cheaper!! UGH.

• Mary L. Hernandez-Munoz says:

Thank you for the advice. Now I know so there are no mishaps in delivery.

• Cheryl says:

I am making cookies for a baby shower. Will your icing stick to a clear bag made for cake/candy decorating so that they can be used as a favor?

• Anna Ullrich says:

if you had a choice would you take a box of cookies in a car or carry them on in an airplane?