Hydrangea Cake Tutorial

filed under: Miscellaneous on March 23, 2011

Just in case anyone wanted to make their own Hydrangea Cake, here a a couple quick tips to make it easier for you!

First, I baked my cake. I just did a regular white cake with the lemon curd filling and lemon frosting. (Seriously delish.. and perfect for spring or Mothers Day!)

I used 8in pans then carved around the edges to make my ‘bouquet’ shape.

You can also bake cake in round pyrex bowl or basketball cake pan or something round.

IMG_6281.stamp

Pin It

I then covered the cake in buttercream frosting and chilled it in the fridge.

For the flowers, I used the rest of my buttercream, making sure the consistency was on the thicker side. Pick the colors that you prefer, and create three of four variations for your petals.

IMG_6288.stamp

Using a #104 tip with the small edge out, I just piped out four petals to each flower.

I think the actual hydrangea petals are a bit more flat, so if you can master the tip you can create a more realistic looking petal!

(This was my first time trying this flower… I am hoping to improve more for next time… I also want to make this cake in white and pale pink… can’t you just see it???)

IMG_6292.stamp

I started with one color in one section then made a bunch of flowers overlapping each other again and again.

Then went back in with another color and started adding more flowers. Anytime I saw a flower that I didn’t think was good enough I just added a new one on top of it!

IMG_6299.stamp

This is a really forgiving and easy technique… you really can’t go wrong!

And when you are all done, you get this…

IMG_6311.stamp

Hope you will try it.

And be sure to leave a link and let me know if you did!

IMG_6546.stamp

Comments

• Ashley B says:

I was looking through all of your recipes today and found this. I am totally in love <3 I am attempting it tomorrow, WISH ME LUCK!! I am very nervous 🙂

• Sarah says:

This is so beautiful and such a stunning technique. Thanks for sharing

• arah says:

i love this! thank you so much for sharing this! maybe i’ll try it on my mom’s birthday!

• arah says:

wow i’m gonna try this soon! thanks for sharing!

• Brenda says:

Finding this on Pinterest couldn’t have come at a better time. My granddaughter’s birthday is coming up and my son and daughter-in-law are planning a flower garden theme. I knew what I was going to do with the cake pops, but had no idea for the cake….YOU solved my problem. Now, I have my fingers crossed, it comes out as gorgeous as yours. Thanks so much for making it look so easy that I’m no afraid to give it a try!

• Dana says:

I just wanted to say thanks! I used your rose cake decorating for my last cake and loved how easy it was to do! I’m now going to try the hydrangea flowers based on your pictures! Thank you 🙂

• Amanda says:

Yay! Cant wait to see! 🙂

• kerrie says:

thank you for sharing……just stunning, i cant wait to try and make this … 🙂
    thank you, thank you , thank you !

• Jessalady says:

I am making this cake for my wedding, along with hydrangea cupcakes on diy cupcake stands. So excited!

• Amanda says:

Oh fun! Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!

• Russell at Chasing Delicious says:

I love this cake! It is sooo pretty!

• Christy says:

Hey Girl! So after seeing this about a year ago, I finally decided to make it. Ive been talking it up to all my friends and showing them the pictures on your blog (seriously, people were probably sick of hearing about this cake 🙂 (maybe that makes you feel a little better about lying in bed at night thinking about cake- it ain’t just you). I love your blog and looking at all the beautiful cakes. I don’t know how ya do it with all your kids. I made the cake for my family for Easter. I don’t like my colors as much as yours, but I think it turned out pretty decent. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Link to cake picture- http://instagr.am/p/JK_QTWwyfh/

• Amanda says:

Oh my gosh I love it!!! You did fabulous. Seriously! You are a natural!

• Essi says:

I´m from Finland ( a land that you have propably never even heard of)
    Every time when I see your creations I´m amazed. =)
    Thank´s

• Lissie @The Cake Beast says:

Hi, there! I just wanted to thank you for the inspiration for my sister-in-law’s bridal shower cakes. She loves hydrangeas and one of the other bridesmaids made hydrangea centerpieces. When I was looking for ideas of how I could incorporate hydrangeas into her cake, I came across your tutorial. Needless to say, it was exactly what I was looking for! I made hydrangea cakes in her colors and they came out great. I wrote a blog post about it and included a link to your tutorial.

Thanks, again!

• anita says:

Hi Amanda, ,I am based in Australia and I just want to say that I am trully inspired by your artwork and you have inspired me to be a creative baker. I have made few cakes, simply inspired by your blog. I am delighted by your art work and your blog has motivated me to take my baking adventure further. Just love your amazing work! Keep up a good work.

• Stephanie says:

This is so beautiful, I wouldn’t want to eat it! Good job!!

• Jen says:

Hi Amanda!

I was on my way to the cake decorating store (it’s like my church) by my house while looking on Foodgawker to find some inspiration for my mom’s birthday cake and came upon this beautiful recipe. Usually I love piecing together different recipes to make an uber-cake, but I stopped walking when I saw this on my smartphone and knew I had to create it and only it. This was the first time I’ve done this much piping, though I’ve been dying to get into it for a while. I know I have a lot of practice ahead of me, but I’m inspired by this experience and your gorgeous architectural piping to keep going and to get better. The only things I changed were using a gluten-free cake recipe (as per my allergies) and improvising a similar buttercream with fresh lemon juice instead of vanilla for the flowers since my mom is so crazy for lemon. She was head over heels for the result. Thank you for sharing your beautiful work and for making a great tutorial!

Here’s my link with my pictures: prettylittlelions.tumblr.com

• Cool Cake says:

Hi Amanda.

Just wanted to tell you how much I love your blog. I come here for inspiration all the time; Well, mostly when i’m at the office, but what my boss doesn’t know, can’t hurt me, right? :). Keep posting – your making my working hours a hell of a lot more fun!

• Eman says:

I fell in Love with this cake

• Yvonne says:

I am decorating one today! I will let you know how it came out. Thanks for all your wonderful ideas.

• Carly says:

Thanks for the awesome tutorial! Mine didn’t turn out quite as nice, but I’m sure everyone will enjoy eating it!!

• Luciana_D says:

WONDERFUL!!! I will make it as soon as i can 🙂
    Thank you so much.

• Allison says:

Did you pipe the hydrangeas onto a flower nail and then transfer them to the cake? I haven’t had great luck with that unless I put them into the freezer. Any tips on how to do this easily?