Ladybug Cupcakes

filed under: Miscellaneous on July 23, 2010

When the kids and I found out cousin Luke was having his 2nd birthday party last week, we were so excited! Luke is little brother to Hannah, my boys’ best bud.

Hannah was one of the first people to everreceivebaked goods from me!

Last year for her birthday, I made her some cupcakes.

She tells me that if I ever want to bring her cupcakes again that would be ok with her. 😉

(Be warned… if you choose to click the link, those were some of the first cupcakes I had made… the writing is wobbly and thetechniqueis poor and the execution leaves something to be desired…)

So I asked Hannah what was Luke’s favorite book? And she said, “Ladybug, Ladybug!”

I have no idea if thats anactualbook or not, but I loved the concept of ladybugs!

IMG_0657.stamp

The buttercream is tinted a soft shade of green. Also, I thought the tip I was using was a bit to girly, so I changed it up just a bit.

IMG_0683.stamp

IMG_0677.stamp

IMG_0775.stamp

It was a wonderful afternoon and I cant wait for next year!

I used this recipe for the buttercream, and right now, its my favorite. It spreads wonderfully and crusts perfectly and tastes pretty darn good.

Buttercream Frosting

0shares0shares

Ingredients

This recipe has no ingredients

Instructions

This recipe has no instructions

*****

I just wanted to take a moment and share some thoughts with you. Is thatOK?

I love cupcakes. I love crazy, beautiful, swirly, extravagant, embellished, ornate and intricate cupcakes.

But as I was making cupcakes for Luke, itoccurredto me.

I really wanted to go back to basics.

IMG_0825.stamp

Ididn’thave the courage to give Luke these cupcakes (Really, I was scared of a two year old? Lame-o.) because Ididn’tthink anyone would like them.

I thought they would think Ididn’tput time or effort into them.

IMG_0800.stamp

But I did. I would even go so far as to say that icing a cupcake by hand takes more time and care and love then using a standard decorators tip.

IMG_0849.stamp

To me there is something so comforting, so simple yet so charming, about a cupcake frosted by hand.

I want to encourage all the aspiring bakers out there to not forget this ofter under-utilizedmethod of decorating.That probably sounds silly coming from me, but its true.

I have a true appreciation for the straightforward, uncomplicated, classic, delicious cupcake.

How about you, what is yourpreference?

Comments

• pamela ponder says:

those are really cute!!

• Amy's blah, blah, blog says:

I think you are right, icing the normal way is harder and takes more effort to get it “right”. Icing is easy with the tips. Although I do like the way it looks . . . what can I say? I’m into fancy. 🙂 Anyway, ladybugs = CUTE!!

• Maranda says:

These are adorable! And I think your first cupcakes were fantastic!!

• Christina says:

First of all super cute cupcakes!
    And secondly, I love the piped frosting. But I think it’s because every time I attempt a pretty piped frosted cupcake it looks like poo…
    That being said, I think your right there is something irresistible about a hand frosted cupcake.
    Was that complicated and long enough??
    I’m feeling indecisive 😉

• Renee says:

Super cute! I love cupcakes, no matter how they are iced 🙂 Now I’m hungry for one!

• angien24 says:

Really cute cupcakes and ladybugs! For what it’s worth, I like the ease of using the piping bag when I have to decorate them myself… but as for the look, I have no preference if it tastes good. LOL.

• Kristin Morris says:

Well I happen to like my tips, but I agree, I absolutely loe the simplicity of ‘just icing’ it. And I am so anal about how it looks, that it actually takes me way more tiem to do it ‘simple’. But the end product is classic, and a breath of fresh air. All th eones that are ordered form me want a decorators tip look, which is fun too, but like you said. Sometimes simple is best. ::Kristin::
    kuppykakesbykristin.blogspot.com

• Elizabeth says:

I love the ladybugs! How cute!
    Oh and for my nephews birthday, we frosted the cupcakes by hand…it took a little longer than using a bag and tip, but they definitely turned out cute!

• Stephanie says:

Those are great. I was totally thinking they were for a girl when I saw ladybug … then I was like “Huh?, Luke?”. They are awesome and not girly at all … plus, if a boy likes ladybugs then who cares. I love the #2 as well. Nicely done.

• Stephanie S says:

So cute!
    My son was born on 9-9-09 🙂 Just thought I would share.

• Chic says:

Love them! Amanda do you make all of photos we see yourself?
    maybe I missed something in a previous post about photography.
    Beautiful pictures.
    OH! I must share my news……..my daughter gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on July 16th, both are doing GREAT.
    My first grandbaby….Aubryn Nicole 5lbs 7ozs. She was tiny but ohhhhhh so perfect!

• Joy Ellis says:

if the cupcake and icing are delicious, I don’t cake how it is decorated! LOL!! I love me some cupcakes!!! I think you did a woonderful job on the lady bug cupcakes!! I think you could make some awesome cookies decorated like lady bugs!

• tanya says:

if you ever feel like going back to making extravagant cupcakes, here is a great website i thought you might like; http://mingmakescupcakes.yolasite.com/

• Alicia says:

Those are so cute, and that frosting looks so delicious!!! It looks so light and creamy!!!!

• Sue says:

You’ve done it once again! So cute! Tiny like the real thing! Love the “ladybug” #2!!!

• Libby says:

So cute! You always amaze me. Sorry if it seems like I repeat myself, but truly you do AMAZE me with your baking skills. You are so very talented. Not anyone could dp what you do. Noahs party is in a month– sure wish you could make some cupcakes for his party!

• Amy says:

They look fantastic either way! I love the #2 with ladybug spots on them.

• Jessica says:

Personally, I like the cupcakes that have been decorated with tips because they don’t look as messy. They look cleaner. I like cleaner and not as messy. That’s just me though.

• Jessica @ How Sweet says:

I actually love cupcakes frosted by hand as well. I think they are beautiful and there is a ‘rustic’ look to them.

• grace says:

cuteness and tastiness–two important qualities in birthday cupcakes. 🙂

• meaghan (chic cookies) says:

1. Your ladybug “picks” are genius. 2. I just iced 50 cupcakes yesterday with a tip and thought how much easier with a tip, and how perfect they look. Why doesn’t everyone frost cupcakes in such a way, I thought? Because you’re right. Much more charming and comforting by hand. Like my mom’s. Though it didn’t hit me til you just articulated it.

• MariA says:

These are so cute. How do you make the ladybug attachments?

• Michelle says:

So incredibly sweet!

• Gwendolyn says:

The Lady Bugs were DEE-lightful!

• Mrs. Kinne says:

I think both ways are adorable– and all of your pictures make me wish I had more frosting in my life. 🙂