This classic Lemon Loaf is made with a delicious lemon cake and then topped with a lemon glaze. Try my Lemon Pound Cake for another delicious cake with a rich, lemony flavor.
If you are craving a refreshing dessert, this is the loaf to make! The Lemon Loaf starts with a moist lemon cake, which is then topped with an easy-to-make sweet lemon glaze. It is delicious with a cup of coffee or as an afternoon snack. When life gives you lemons, make a lemon loaf!
Lemon Loaf Ingredients
There are two parts to this recipe–the lemon loaf and the lemon glaze.
Eggs: Room-temperature eggs will give you the best results when baking this dessert.
Sour Cream: Sour cream makes this lemon loaf recipe richer and adds fat for a creamier texture.
Lemon Flavor: I used the zest of a lemon, lemon juice, and lemon extract to bring out the lemon flavor in the loaf.
Flour: Use all-purpose flour in this recipe.
Can I use Lemon Juice from a Bottle?
You could! But since you will need the lemon for the lemon zest in this recipe anyway, I would recommend using the freshly squeezed juice of a lemon. I have found that fresh lemon juice provides amazing flavor!
How to Store Lemon Loaf
This lemon loaf should be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature for 4-5 days. To freeze the loaf, first, cool and frost it, and then place it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Once frozen, wrap it in a layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil. Place in a freezer-safe container, labeled and dated, for up to six months.
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 8 ounces (about 1 cup) sour cream, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, about 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups (187.5 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (125 g) confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8½ x 4½-inch loaf pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add eggs, sugar, sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, and lemon extract and beat until creamy. Slowly drizzle in oil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix until just combined. (Some lumps are okay.)
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs.
- Allow the loaf to cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- In a medium bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled loaf and serve.
If you like a rich lemony flavor, you can still try the original 2 tablespoons.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
This recipe was found on Tiktok from @tasteandtraveler. She does not give credit for the recipe she shares, but it is directly from Averi Cooks, Best Lemon Loaf.