Memory Cookies and Cakes Galore

filed under: Cupcakes on August 23, 2010

IMG_2912.stamp

We recently celebrated Parkers fourth birthday here at our home.

I made this dessert table which I put about 20+ hours of work into. And then totally forgot to take a picture of it all set up outside.

Me. Who takes anywhere from 200 to 1000 pictures per event simply because I like to, totally FORGOT to take pictures of the dessert table that I slaved over for 24 hours straight.

I cried.

I complained. I prayed to God to magically make some pictures appear.

I cried some more.

Needless to say, all I have to show for my dessert table in that one stupid picture.

I did get a few shots before the event of specific items… so not all is lost, but I wanted my money shot. My, “Look at what I did mom!” shot.

Totally didnt happen.

When I complained for the zillionth time to my husband he said, “Did your newly four year old son enjoy the party?”

Um, point taken.

Its all not about me.

Moving on.

The table above not only represents the cake I made for Parkers birthday celebration but a few other big events.

Cousin Inga celebrated her fifth birthday a week prior.

I made her a giant devils food cupcake with pink buttercream frosting.

IMG_2832.stamp

The second cake in is a mini pistachio cake with cream cheese frosting.

It had cookie on a stick decorations that say, “Happy Anniversary Ryan and Elizabeth” who are celebrating their first anniversary this week!

There are alsochocolatecupcakes with whipped cream frosting.

IMG_2836.stamp

I also made “Memory Cookies” for the kids.

IMG_2851.stamp

The idea behind it was if the child picked one cookie, they got to find its match… and have two!

IMG_2853.stamp

I just a few out at a time to make it a little easier.

And finally was Parkers cake.

IMG_2829.stamp

This is a six layer cake. The candyland inspired candy road is made out of buttercream fondant, and actually tastes not too bad.

I cut out the little rainbow colored squares the day before to let them stiffen up a bit, then the morning of the party (and I am not kidding, it was around 6:00am) I started trimming andplacingthe pieces on the cake. It went so quickly and smoothly I recommend thistechniqueto any mom with young ones!

IMG_2848.stamp
The top has gummy worms, gumdrops, and jelly beans. The base is lined with M&M’s.

And the inside…

IMG_2952.stamp
… was rainbow.

Parker has been asking for a rainbow cake ever since I made one for my Fox appearance last December. Which is a long time ago!

He really, really loved it. Which made me reallyreally happy!

I am revealing the party and all its components over on my main blog, i am mommy,if you want to catch a glimpse of the big day!

Comments

• Jessica @ How Sweet says:

What a fun, colorful party! I know I would have gone nuts over that stuff when I was a kid.

• Paula says:

I love the idea of the memory cookies. Ingenious of you and what fun for the kids. Parker is one lucky little 4 year old! That bday cake is wonderful (huge…but wonderful)and I love how everything is primary colour matching. You did a super job mommie!

• Jessica says:

I love rainbow cakes! They are so awesome, bright, and make me happy (that’s the most important aspect, right?).
    Great celebrations and desserts!

• TidyMom says:

ALL of it looks AMAZING Amanda!!………LOVE the bright colors on those cupcakes!!

• libby says:

how awesome!! i love his cake. It looks amazing! he is very lucky to have such a talented mother. Anxious to see the rest of the party pics. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Renee says:

You did a great job! So colorful. Happy Birthday Parker

• Jamie @ Six Bricks High says:

AMAZING! I love everything! You are so creative!!! How lucky is your little guy to have a mom like you!

• Becki D says:

Parker and his friends must think he has the coolest Mom, ever, just based on the rainbow cake. So awesome!
    The Memory cookies were also a great idea! Did it work – did the little monkeys take the time to match them up?
    Pistachio cake with cream cheese frosting? I’ll take one of those, please! ๐Ÿ™‚
    What an awesome party for your little man….hubby is right, fancy set-up shot or not, I think you made some amazing memories for your family!

• Amanda Daybyday says:

I totally know what you mean about being sad about the pictures. I made a cake for my niece this weekend. I took pictures, but am pretty sure I hate them (haven’t even downloaded them yet) and so don’t even want to post them… even though the cake turned out pretty well. Something about having a great shot of your work to make the work feel good.
    Having said that – LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the dessert table. And the colors. Gorgeous.
    P.S. I used buttercream fondant on my cake too. Wonder if we used the same recipe. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Margaret in Minnesota says:

You are something else, Amanda, and that’s all I have to say about that.
    (Well, I could say a TON more but you know. Domestic obligations call.)
    Love from your former teacher,
    Mrs. B.
    (who was Miss E. at the time)

• Jenny says:

Oh! The inside! I mean, I remember your other one, but it’s always such a surprise! The colors are so vivid. Lovely.

• angien24 says:

Wow! What a great idea for a party. I love your candy land cake and all of the other ideas as well. SO nice to celebrate the other special moments in your family as well. You did an amazing job. OH, I think I’m a lot like you and my husband has that special way of putting things into perspective for me too. (wink)

• Gwendolyn says:

Do you share the whipped frosting recipe for the cupcakes? They look so yummy.

• Julie @ Willow Bird Baking says:

What gorgeous, colorful desserts! And don’t worry, you can cry here — we food bloggers share your heartbreak at the missing pictures and are happy to provide a crying shoulder! You did get wonderful pictures of each dessert, though, and we can imagine the fun outside ๐Ÿ™‚

• ABananas says:

OMG! Love the rainbow cake. Does that mean I have the taste of a 4 year old?

• meaghan (chic cookies) says:

perfect brightness!!

• Eliana says:

You are so incredibly talented. All of this looks so amazing.

• smgoodie says:

Oh how good the rainbow cake looks and all of the other goodies. Wish I was 4 years old. Then I could have my cake and eat it too. Currently I’m 4+ many more. And can only look at the cake, not eat it.
    Thanks for sharing. I have not gained an ounce.

• BJ_Mama says:

AWESOME! The candyland theme is so much fun!

• Kari says:

Love, love, love the cake! Great job!

• aimee says:

Best. Mom. EVER! That is the best theme for a kid’s party – you did such an amazing job putting it all together – your table is so bright, and that cake! SO cute!!

• Kari says:

I was going to leave a comment on the other post, but there’s no place as far as I can tell to leave comments. ๐Ÿ™‚ We did a candyland party for Alex’s 5th birthday and it was a blast. I am not so handy in the kitchen, so we didn’t have all the fancy desserts that you did. BUT… we did make a lifesize candyland board and played a gigantic game of candyland. We used construction paper for the walkway and we had friends dress as King Candy and Queen Frostine. Such fun. ๐Ÿ™‚ The kids all wore different colored t-shirts that I had painted gingerbread men on. They marched along the paths to music and we played all sorts of different “candy” games. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

• BethieofVA says:

I so dig that rainbow cake! My birthday is in October. Wink, wink, nod,nod. I have wanted to make a road trip to MN, since the hubby is from there. LOL!

• Amalia Standard says:

Oh…. I adore the Memory cookies idea…and absolutely love love the candyland inspired cake. You little guy is one lucky 4 year old….I bet he loved all those colors!!!!! I can’t wait to hop on over to your other blog to see the party details!!! Amazing…and hope your little one had a wonderful day!!!!

• Christina says:

Super Cute, I bet he did love it! You are one talented Momma!