Memory Cookies and Cakes Galore

filed under: Cupcakes on August 23, 2010

IMG_2912.stamp

We recently celebrated Parkers fourth birthday here at our home.

I made this dessert table which I put about 20+ hours of work into. And then totally forgot to take a picture of it all set up outside.

Me. Who takes anywhere from 200 to 1000 pictures per event simply because I like to, totally FORGOT to take pictures of the dessert table that I slaved over for 24 hours straight.

I cried.

I complained. I prayed to God to magically make some pictures appear.

I cried some more.

Needless to say, all I have to show for my dessert table in that one stupid picture.

I did get a few shots before the event of specific items… so not all is lost, but I wanted my money shot. My, “Look at what I did mom!” shot.

Totally didnt happen.

When I complained for the zillionth time to my husband he said, “Did your newly four year old son enjoy the party?”

Um, point taken.

Its all not about me.

Moving on.

The table above not only represents the cake I made for Parkers birthday celebration but a few other big events.

Cousin Inga celebrated her fifth birthday a week prior.

I made her a giant devils food cupcake with pink buttercream frosting.

IMG_2832.stamp

The second cake in is a mini pistachio cake with cream cheese frosting.

It had cookie on a stick decorations that say, “Happy Anniversary Ryan and Elizabeth” who are celebrating their first anniversary this week!

There are alsochocolatecupcakes with whipped cream frosting.

IMG_2836.stamp

I also made “Memory Cookies” for the kids.

IMG_2851.stamp

The idea behind it was if the child picked one cookie, they got to find its match… and have two!

IMG_2853.stamp

I just a few out at a time to make it a little easier.

And finally was Parkers cake.

IMG_2829.stamp

This is a six layer cake. The candyland inspired candy road is made out of buttercream fondant, and actually tastes not too bad.

I cut out the little rainbow colored squares the day before to let them stiffen up a bit, then the morning of the party (and I am not kidding, it was around 6:00am) I started trimming andplacingthe pieces on the cake. It went so quickly and smoothly I recommend thistechniqueto any mom with young ones!

IMG_2848.stamp
The top has gummy worms, gumdrops, and jelly beans. The base is lined with M&M’s.

And the inside…

IMG_2952.stamp
… was rainbow.

Parker has been asking for a rainbow cake ever since I made one for my Fox appearance last December. Which is a long time ago!

He really, really loved it. Which made me reallyreally happy!

I am revealing the party and all its components over on my main blog, i am mommy,if you want to catch a glimpse of the big day!

Comments

• Lauren @ Crave. Indulge. Satisfy. says:

Great dessert table! Love the candy land cake, I’m sure Parker was so excited when you cut it and he saw the rainbow layers inside! Sorry you weren’t able to get a shot of the final table, I’m sure it was stunning!

• Themamabearshouse.blogspot.com says:

Oh. My. Goodness!
    Amanda that cake is breathtaking!
    Well done SuperMama!!

• mindy says:

GORGEOUS!! I have a feeling, that if I show my girls this, they will want the exact same theme for both of their up-coming birthdays. So cute!!

• Alicia says:

Spectactular…gorgeous…awesome!!!!!!

• Sue says:

Awesome to the nth degree!

• sunflowers8 says:

un bellissimo party sei proprio una supermamma! A settembre la mia piccola farà 3 anni, sarò felice di fare la tua torta arcobaleno!
    Sonia

• Amy K says:

It definitely looks like you put all that time & more into it. Super sweet – love it all. Sorry about the pics!
    Blessings…

• Courtney says:

Huge fan of your rainbow cakes! Love how they are so colorful.
    Great job 🙂

• Alyssa says:

Amazing! As always! Can’t wait to see the whole party!

• bridget {bake at 350} says:

Oh, well aren’t you the best mom EVER!!! Even if you *did* for forget to take a zillion pictures! Why is it with our OWN parties and treats, we forget to take pictures? LOVE the CandyLand theme!
    And buttercream fondant? Do tell!

• grace says:

color, color everywhere! i love the barrage of hues, amanda–beautiful work!

• Lexi says:

I love the idea of colour for a four year old. Buttercream Fondant….like I have said before. You are amazing.

• Londa says:

What a fun colorful party! I think your rainbow cake is on my list of 100 things I need to bake before my kids grow up! It’s so cute!!!
    The memory card cookies…you’re just a genius! That’s all I can say! I’m going to make a match for all my cookies from now on so I can justify eating them 2 at a time! 🙂
    We heart Candyland at our house–it is a great theme for birthday parties! 🙂 Happy Birthday Parker!!!

• denise says:

i love all the bright colors…i so hear you on focusing on the photos trying to “capture” these moments and being reminded the day is about our children…i know you strike this balance much better than your post depicts but i chuckled along with your clever humorous writing totally FEELING you…i’m so borrowing the “guest book” for the party idea…what a great way to capture who came and their thoughts the day of…my daughter is off to kindergarten in less than 2 weeks and i’m working so hard to “capture” her life as it is before i have to share her (i’ve been involved in every baby step of her life as a stay-at-home mom until now)…i return to your blog again and again because you are so balanced even as you describe your foibles…we love you! wish we could have joined the party and hope to have our children play and you and i chat some day in person…

• Jeanine says:

Hi…it’s Jeanine over at peaceFULLYsimple. We have birthdays coming up in October and December at our house and OH HOW I WISH you could make the birthday cakes for my kids. Probably a little hard to ship…and keep intact…huh? The rainbow cake is awesome! What a fun surprise inside and beautifully decorated cake. Hope your son had a blast celebrating being four!
    Peace and blessings to your day!
    Jeanine

• Kate says:

That cake looked AWESOME!
    And I need to discuss the frosting you put on the cupcakes. Stat.

• Samantha says:

Amazing cake. The theme is brilliant and if it tastes the way it looks, well, you can come bake for me any time!

• Laura says:

So cute! Love the little memory cookies and the rainbow cake!

• Natasha says:

Wow!! I totally gasped when I saw the inside of the cake. Genius and super cute!!

• Jessica says:

Love these cakes! So unique and interesting. Glad that Parker had a great birthday. My little boy, Danny, is turning 4 in September. I think his eyes would grow really huge if he saw a cake like this!

• Michelle Andrews says:

You are so amazingly talented!

• janis says:

Okay – so I have now read up on your blog and think I am current – as a result I’m wondering how much you charge for total party planning? lol I have one coming up in November and one in December! 🙂 Can I hit you up? 🙂
    You’re amazing!

• Becca says:

I marvel at one thing everytime (besides your obvious gifts used all over your site). I marvel at how you get your cakes to cut so neatly for your pictures! what’s your secret?!

• the urban baker says:

you are amazing, scary-good! you need to start doing video tutorials! put on u-tube, upload so the universe can see how talented you are!!!! i am making one of these…it won’t look like this, but will taste good! xx

• Casey says:

Oh my goodness! I’m going to have a favourite colour party for my little girl and this masterpiece shall be the cake! Erm… I’m dreaming that it will look as awesome as yours.
    I have made mention of your genius on my blog also with a link back. Naturally!