Mothers Day Cookie Jar

filed under: Cookies on April 25, 2010

Are you ready for my next Mothers Day gift idea??? Its only two weeks away!

Cause I don’t know about you. But giving my mom personalized baked goods has always got me bonus points.

Did you check out the Mothers Day Cake?

Or how about the Mothers Day Garden Party?

My next idea is not a cake. Crazy! I know.

Its cookies.

Its a Mothers Day Cookie jar.

IMG_3392.cookiejar

A Mothers Day cookie jar filled with approximately 4, 531 cookies (four dozen if you want to get technical) with sweet words about mom and one GIANT cookie on the front.

IMG_3331.cookies

The idea came to me one day as I was trying to find words to describe my mom.

IMG_3480.diary

I didnt use every word on this list… I have no idea where “sprightly” came from.

Picnik collage.wordcookie

Although its time consuming, its really very easy to do! Two colors of icing. Four dozen cookies. Just writing out words.

Totally do-able.

IMG_3429.cookiejar

And you can pretty much package these up any old way for a neat effect.

I can just see it… “Mom. I love you! You are so many things to me… so I made all these cookies with words on them that describe you! So if you are ever feeling down or just off… you can grab one of these cookies and know how I see you.”

Or…something like that.

I mean. She probably shouldn’t grab one a these cookies a year from now. Two weeks max folks.

IMG_3443.cookiejar

IMG_3462.cookies

So have fun with this!

Make the cookies a little bigger and use phrases that are significant to mom.

Or write the names of every single child and grandchild.

Or just write ‘I love you” on 100 cookies.

Whatever you do, she is sure to love it!

IMG_3489.cookies

I use my favorite sugar cookie recipe and my special version of royal icing.

Comments

• Theresa says:

This is the most simple yet fantastic idea! So creative, I just want to live in your brain for a day to get inspiration. lol, that sounds really weird! he he

• Shauna from Piece of Cake says:

These are too precious. Just about got chills…from cookies! Normal?
    Found you via Foodgawker…always thrilled to find a fellow baking mom blogger!

• MommyTopics.com says:

I love the cookie jar idea! Soooo super cute and sweet! Wanna come help my kids make me one? Any excuse to always have your yummy cookies on hand is a good one!

• thecoffeesnob says:

What a cute idea!

• meaghan (chic cookies) says:

Brilliant! the minute I’m on my own computer, I’ll have to link all over the place ๐Ÿ™‚

• Paula says:

Your Mom, any Mom would be delighted to receive such a pretty and thoughtful gift Amanda. As always, your post is delightful, creative and infused with just the right amount of humour. Thank you!
    p.s. Looking forward to seeing your entries on http://universityofcookie.com/ Congrats Professor!

• Paula says:

Amanda, this is just adorable! So simple and so thoughtful – genious idea!

• Kaitlin says:

Great idea ๐Ÿ˜€

• Emma @ Poires au Chocolat says:

What a gorgeous idea. I love words (sounds silly but you know what I mean), as does my mum. Maybe next year!

• Farrah (My KitchenAid Mixer & Me) says:

That is a wonderful idea! I wish when my daughter gets older she would do this for me. I’d probably cry my eyeballs out if she did especially to know that she made something for me with what she thought of me.

• ClassiclyAmber says:

I think that is a fabulous idea! You are very creative and thoughtful to come up with that for your mother. I am sure she will LOVE it! Who wouldn’t, though?

• Dea says:

That is such a cute idea Amanda! If I made you one of those creativity would be on a lot of them cookies ๐Ÿ˜‰ lol

• Courtney says:

This is brilliant, but I’m not using the idea for Mother’s day, rather teacher appreciation week! I love little things to give each day of the week to my girls’ teachers. This is perfect! Thank you for you constant inspiration and a motivation to try new things!

• shelly (cookies and cups) says:

gorgeous and lovely!
    what a sweet gift ๐Ÿ™‚

• bridget {bake at 350} says:

Oh, my mom would have LOVED getting cookies like these. How sweet, Amanda! You always have the BEST ideas!

• Heather F says:

My silly Mom is on the South Beach diet. Maybe I’ll make her some hamburgers and write on them with mustard. Somehow I don’t think that would have the same effect as your pretty cookies.

• Katie says:

What a beautiful gift! Great idea ๐Ÿ™‚

• Liz says:

I think I could almost do this! Great idea!

• Renee of Kudos Kookies says:

This is a brilliant idea! It really touched a place in my heart.
    Very creative and thoughtful!

• Elizabeth says:

i LOVE this and have already bought some jars and the ingredients to make cookies. This is what my mom and MIL are getting for Mother’s Day! THanks Amanda!!

• grace says:

my plan of attack would be to make little cupcakes, write out all the appropriate descriptive words, and affix them to the cupcakes with a toothpick. i say this because i doubt my icing-writing would be at all legible. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Saira says:

Thank you for the idea and the recipe…I had a really bad baking day when making these and tried two recipes that failed before I tried yours. the cookies are sooo delicious! Will be making these for my mom when she comes to visit!

• Lisa says:

I plan on doing this for both my mom and mother-in-law but I also thought I would make them for a friend who recently moved far from home. This jar of cookies will be going from VA to NC and I’m afraid of the cookies arriving as crumbs. How can I best pack this so it arrives in one piece?

• Stephanie says:

I did this for my son’s preschool teacher and she loved it. It was time consuming but well worth it when I seen her face when it clicked in her head what the words were for. Thanks!

• Jbontrager says:

I am so sad, I can’t seem to get the icing right. Does it makes sense that it usually takes about 5 TBL of milk to get it to the right consistency? Even then, it can be a little lumpy. Hmmm. I love the cookie recipe! I made them for easter and I am now making them for Mother’s Day. (ragga_muffin from LJ)