Ooey Gooey Butter Cake Bars are sweet dessert bars that start with a buttery crust and then topped with cream cheese and butter-flavored topping. Check out my Ooey Gooey Butter Cake for another super sweet treat!
Ooey Gooey Butter Cake Bars
I love ooey-gooey desserts. In fact, I have lots, like my Ooey Gooey Butter Cookies, Lemon Ooey Gooey Cake, Strawberry Ooey Gooey Cake, and the list goes on…There is just something so delicious about a buttery crust and a creamy topping made with more butter! And, these bars are made with a homemade crust–no boxed cake mix is used.
But these bars are truly a special treat!! So creamy and smooth when paired with that glorious butter crust. They taste like a decadent vanilla-infused treat that you will want to make again and again!
Butter Bars Ingredients
Butter: With butter in the title, you know it is an important ingredient in these bars. In fact, lots of butter is used in both the crust and the topping. Because of all the butter being used, I opted for Challenge Butter to make sure that these bars would be the best ooey gooey bars you have ever tasted!
Challenge Butter is made the old-fashioned way, churned fresh daily from the freshest milk and cream from happy cows at family-owned dairies since 1911–the same way it’s been made for 110 years.
Room Temperature Ingredients: Set your cream cheese and butter for the topping out a couple of hours before you plan on making these dessert bars. You will not regret it!
How to Store Butter Bars
These bars are best stored in a covered container in the refrigerator. They will last up to four days. If you want to freeze them, let them cool completely before storing them in a freezer-safe container in a single layer. Label and date the container(s); they will last in the freezer for up to three months. Let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Ooey Gooey Butter Cake Bars
- 2 ½ cups (312.5 g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (94 g) confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 cups (500 g) confectioners' sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9×13-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- To a large bowl, combine flour, confectioners' sugar, salt, and nutmeg.
- Drizzle in butter and mix until combined and crumbly. Using the bottom of a glass or your hand, press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Using a fork, poke holes all over the surface of the crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let come to room temperature before adding the topping.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese and butter. Mix on medium speed until creamy.
- Slowly add the confectioners' sugar, eggs, yolks, and vanilla. Beat on low until smooth and creamy.
- Pour over cooled crust. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. (The center should be jiggly, but not liquidy.)
- Allow the bars to cool at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Then, place the bars in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours before cutting and serving.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.