UPDATE: I have updated this recipe and created the ULTIMATE Birthday Cake!
Happy, Happy Happy Birthday Cake! This sweet cake is easy to do and tastes SO good!
Silky smooth chocolate buttercream!
- 1 cup powder sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (226g) + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces extra-bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- Melt chocolate. Place in microwave safe bowl and heat in 30-second increments. An alternative method would be to use a double broiler. Place chopped chocolate in heat proof bowl and set over saucepan of simmering water. Gently stir until chocolate is fully melted, then set aside to cool.
- Place sugar in a medium heatproof bowl and add in the egg whites and salt.
- Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (about 2 inches deep) and whisk gently until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the warm egg-white mixture to standing mixer fitted with the whisk.
- Add the vanilla and beat at medium-high speed until glossy and firm, about 8 minutes.
- Beat in the butter a few pieces at a time, making sure it is fully incorporated before adding more.
- If the buttercream appears runny at any time, transfer the bowl to the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes, then return it to the mixer and continue.
- Beat in the melted chocolate until fully incorporated, scraping down the side and bottom of the bowl.
Happy Birthday Cake
To decorate I just used a small offset spatula and swirled my cake around while holding the spatula steady.
The little poms are made from tissue paper. I followed this easy tutorial from HGTV on How to Make Tissue Paper Pom Poms.
One thing you may have noticed is the different sized layers. I left one layer as in, then removed the top 1/3 of the other layer. When I assembled the cake I added the medium layer on the bottom, the full layer in the middle, and the thin layer on top. All divided by chocolate frosting of course!