Rainbow Chip Cookies are soft cookies that are loaded with both mini chocolate chips and rainbow chips for a colorful and tasty treat. For another colorful treat, try my Rainbow Chip Brownies, too!
Butter: With two sticks of butter in the cookie dough, you know these cookies will be soft and delicious! I used unsalted butter. Make sure it is at room temperature to combine with the other ingredients properly.
Sugar: You will use both granulated sugar and light brown sugar in the dough.
Eggs: Just like the butter should be at room temperature, so should the eggs. I do have egg substitutes you could try as well.
Candy Chips: I added both mini chocolate chips and rainbow chips. Rainbow chips are simply mini chocolate chips under a colorful coating.
Can I Make the Cookie Dough Ahead of Time?
Sure! If you don’t want to bake the cookies right away, simply make the dough and freeze it. To freeze the dough, scoop out the balls of dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Next, place the dough balls into the freezer to become solid (an hour or two). Finally, store the balls of dough in freezer-safe zipper bags until you are ready to bake. You can bake them right from frozen; just add a couple of minutes to the baking time.
How to Store Cookies
Cookies are best when stored in a sealed plastic bag with a small piece of bread. The added chunk of bread will help the cookies stay fresh longer, as well as retain their softness.
Can I Freeze Rainbow Chip Cookies?
Definitely! First, let the cookies cool completely. Next, place the cookies on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place the cookies in the freezer to freeze (about 30 minutes or so). Then, store the cookies in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Rainbow Chip Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks / 226 g) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (150 g) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3½ cups (437.5 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup (86.5 g) rainbow chips
- ½ cup (86.5 g) mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a large bowl, add butter, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Using a hand mixer on medium speed, mix until incorporated.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda until blended.
- Fold in rainbow chips and chocolate chips.
- Using a 2-tablespoon scoop, drop dough onto the lined baking sheet, leaving 1-2 inches in between each cookie. Use the bottom of a glass to slightly flatten each scoop of dough. (These cookies don't spread so they will retain the shape you have them in prior to baking.)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. Let the cookies cool for a minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.