Light and fluffy Raspberry Cream Cheese Rolls will be your new breakfast go-to recipe. Buttery soft dough filled to the brim with a delicious raspberry cream cheese mixture and smothered in a cream cheese glaze for an over the top finish. If you love a sweet breakfast treat, try my Orange Sweet Rolls or Quick Cinnamon Rolls!
Raspberry Sweet Rolls
When I need to pull together a sweet breakfast treat, I tend to fall back on my tried and true cinnamon rolls. Sometimes I want to shake things up a bit. Don’t get me wrong, they are amazing, but I am always looking to expand my baking into other territories. I have always loved the idea of combining two things I love to make something totally different. That was the case with this amazing breakfast roll recipe. I combined a sweet bread dough (traditionally used for breakfast rolls) and raspberries. Let me tell you, cinnamon rolls have met their match with this combo.
Raspberry Cream Cheese Sweet Rolls Recipe
There are three primary sections to this recipe. The dough, the filling, and the glaze. Start by preparing your ingredients:
- Granulated Sugar
- Active Dry Yeast
- Eggs–Out of eggs? No problem! Try one of my Egg Substitutes for this recipe!
- Cream Cheese
- Sugar Vanilla
The Cream Cheese Glaze
- Cream Cheese
- Confectioners Sugar
Sweet Roll Dough
The base for this sweet roll dough is the same as our orange rolls recipe. It is one of the easiest doughs to work in part due to the ingredients and in part due to the process. To make this dough whisk together the milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and the yeast. Let that sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes. The mixture will get a little foamy. Add in eggs and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
Next, move to your stand mixer. Make sure it is fitted with a dough hook. In the bowl, combine the remaining sugar, flour, and salt. Add the milk mixture and turn the mixer on low. Slowly add pads of butter, blending well between additions. Once everything is combined, turn the mixer to medium for 1 minute and then switch to medium-high to knead until the dough is soft (about 5 minutes).
Rise and Prepare the Dough
Transfer the dough to a medium-sized buttered dish. Brush the top of the dough with melted butter and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm area until doubled in size (about 1 hour). Give the dough a good punch and turn it out onto a floured surface. Roll out a 10×15 rectangle, that is about 1/4 inch thick.
How to Make Raspberry Cream Cheese Sweet Rolls
Once your dough is rolled out the rest is easy peasy! Just combine the cream cheese, butter, sugar, and vanilla. Spread that on top of your dough. Then, in a separate bowl, mix together the frozen raspberries and cornstarch. Spread that over the cream cheese mixture (leaving about a 1/2 inch on the top edge clear for sealing at the end). Tightly roll the dough into a log using the bottom long edge as a starting point.
Using a very sharp knife or dental floss (I will explain this method below), cut the rolls into 8-12 equal pieces. Place each roll into a greased 9×13 pan. Put the pan in a warm, dry place and let them rise again (about 1 hour) and then pop them in the oven for about 25 minutes. You are going for a golden-brown crust. Remove them from the oven and let them sit on the counter for about 5 minutes while you prepare the glaze.
Cream Cheese Glaze
The glaze in this recipe is what dreams are made of. To prepare, grab a small bowl and mix together the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, confectioners sugar, and milk until smooth. Add more milk if you want the glaze to be thinner or more confectioners sugar to thicken. Pour this mixture over the warm rolls and serve!
How to Slice Sweet Rolls with Dental Floss
After rolling all the goodness up into sweet rolls, sometimes it’s hard to slice them into individual-sized rolls without smooshing them. If the knife you are using is not sharp enough, that can lead to the squishing of the rolls before they are baked. A great method to save you from frustration is dental floss! Yep, dental floss.
To use dental floss, first, make sure it is plain (not flavored) floss. Slide a long piece of floss underneath the rolled-up rolls and wrap the floss around the roll about 2 inches in. Pull to slice through the roll. Continue this method every two inches or so. Now, don’t forget to go floss your teeth, but use a new piece of floss!
Raspberry Cream Cheese Sweet Rolls
- ⅔ cup (184g) whole milk, warmed in microwave for about 30 seconds
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2¾ cups (344g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (1 stick, 113g) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces, room temperature
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups frozen raspberries
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
Cream Cheese Glaze
- ¼ cup (½ stick, 57g) butter, softened
- 1 ounce cream cheese, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup (94g) confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk, room temperature
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and 1 tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle yeast over milk and whisk to blend. Let sit until yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs; whisk until smooth.
- Combine remaining 4 tablespoons sugar, flour, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the milk mixture. With the mixer running, add butter, 1 piece at a time, blending well between additions.
- Knead on medium speed for 1 minute. Knead on medium-high speed until the dough is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Brush a medium bowl with some melted butter; place the dough in the bowl. Brush the top of the dough with the remaining melted butter; cover with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rise in a warm, draft-free area until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- When you are ready, punch the dough, turn out onto a floured surface, and roll into a 10x15 rectangle (it should be about 1/4 inch thick).
Cream Cheese Filling
- To make the cream cheese filling, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and sugar until smooth. Stir in the vanilla.
- Toss the raspberries in the cornstarch, evenly coating the raspberries.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the dough. Sprinkle with the raspberries and roll up tightly starting on the long edge.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut the log into 12 rolls. Place them into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Let rise in a warm place until double.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- While the rolls cool, in a medium bowl mix together the glaze ingredients. Add more milk if necessary to thin the glaze.
- Pour the glaze over the warm rolls and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Looking for More Breakfast Recipes?
Loaded Hashbrown Breakfast Nachos
Breakfast Donut Ball Coffee Cake
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Making the raspberry cheese rolls today, my dough is very sticky, added a little more flour, but still very sticky, letting it rise , hoping for the best,,
This is an excellent recipe!! The rolls were super soft, the filling delicious, and the glaze put it over the top!! This is definitely a keeper recipe!! Thank you!’
Perhaps you can answer this; What mixer do you use. AND what attachment do we use.
AND I need to not have the tops so dark (dry) and also Can we somehow lower the temp or put foil on top??
Hi Amanda, I made these rolls and they are great! I especiallyl like the taste and texture of the dough! It reminds me of a brioche dough. I have lots of rolls and bread recipes but this dough is one of the best I’ve made! Honestly, I believe the secret to the goodness of this dough is being sparse with the flour. I used a very scant 2 3/4 cups flour and it was perfect! Thank you!
This is by far the best sweet rolls recipe I have ever made, thank you! I want to try the cinnamon version of them. Quick question: can i put them in the fridge overnight before they rise and bake them the next morning? If so, how long should they rise before i put thm on the oven?
Do u add the Raspberry frozen to the dough? Or do u let them thraw?
Hi, Suzanne! I work with iambaker and am happy to help with questions. Use frozen raspberries; they hold together better. Have a great day!
yes you do.
Just made these this morning. They turned out excellent. The dough is easy to work with and is light and airy, not dense. This is definitely a keeper and this will be my go to dough for sweet rolls. Thank you for this recipe.
Definitely 5 star worthy. Delicious, tender rolls with a yummy filling. I had to add a bit more flour when making the dough and baked for 35 minutes
Please respond to my inquiry. I would appreciate it.
Hi; How do I know that the milk is perfect. I want to be successful and enjoy these. With so much work; which I do not mind, How do I know when the milk is the right temp; this is crucial!
Today is 1-20. Please respond because I have taken out the items that has to be room temp. We want to enjoy these because food is expensive; especially when your job was stolen by the state of CA, 1040 days ago.
Please help. Thank you very much
By any chance, do you think the dough itself could be made in my Z0 bread machine. I do not have a stand mixer, only a electric hand held one. Those look so delicious,