This Banana Bread made with a sourdough starter is a light and delicious bread full of pure banana flavor that is so good you don’t even need to add butter! For another recipe that gives you a tangy sourdough flavor, try my Easy Sourdough Brownies.
Sourdough Banana Bread
I have definitely made my share of banana bread, from my Cinnamon Sugar Banana Bread to Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. All of them are delicious, but this Sourdough Banana Bread recipe is so light and the banana flavor really comes out in this bread with every bite. It is really a bread to go bananas for😀.
I wanted more recipes to use my sourdough starter (that I had finally perfected) besides my Simple Sourdough Bread. I am happy to say this was a great idea! The more ways to use up the starter, the better.
Sourdough Banana Bread Recipe
Just in case you have never had Sourdough Banana Bread before and are thinking… does this taste sour? The answer is no. The sourdough starter acts as a yeast component in this recipe and is simply an ingredient that helps with rise and texture. This bread tastes like the most perfect banana bread you will ever make. Pure banana deliciousness!
This simple recipe is perfect for your sourdough starter. Or, just use the starter you have ready to go in the refrigerator. (Just make sure you take it out 12 hours before baking!) Either way, I think you will like the subtle added flavor that it gives to the bread.
How Long Does Sourdough Banana Bread Last?
Since this recipe makes just one loaf, it certainly doesn’t last very long here. I could probably eat the entire loaf by myself in a couple of days! Sourdough bread, in general, usually lasts for 4-5 days at room temperature. Do not store it in the refrigerator. Instead, keep it covered with a towel or in a zipped plastic bag someplace that is relatively cool. A bread box also works well.
If you want to freeze the bread, be sure to let the bread cool completely before freezing. To freeze the bread, seal the loaf into a zipped plastic freezer bag, making sure to let all the air out. You can store bread for up to 6 months in the freezer, but the longer you keep it in there, the less fresh tasting it will be. (And be sure to label it with the date!)
Sourdough Banana Bread
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113g) butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (100g) brown sugar
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 ripe bananas, chopped or mashed
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9×5-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir with a fork to combine ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (or bowl of your stand mixer) add the butter and sugars. Mix on medium-high with a hand-held mixer until ingredients are fully incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- To the bowl add in the eggs, vanilla, and bananas. Mix very well until only a few lumps of banana remain. May need to scrape the bowl.
- Add in the flour mixture and the sourdough starter and stir gently by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 55-65 minutes or until an inserted toothpick is removed with crumbs but no wet batter. Do not overbake.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.