Spring Layer Cake with Pink Buttercream Flowers

filed under: Cakes on May 14, 2015

I still love getting magazines. I know they are supposedly not as popular now that everything is available online, but I love thumbing through a magazine with a cup of good coffee and a comfortable sofa.

Pink Buttercream Flower Cake

One of my favorite magazines to get in the mail is HGTV Magazine. And do you know what my favorite part of it is?

The cover.

They have amazing covers. It never fails to inspire me or bring a smile to my face.

Pink Buttercream Flower Cake inspired by HGTV

This cake is completely inspired by their April issue.

hgtv-4-2015_cover

That floral centerpiece drew me in immediately. Here is it a bit closer.

hgtvphoto

I just knew I had to make it into a cake!!

Pink Buttercream Flower Cake inspired by HGTV

I have to tell you, this is my very first time making free-form buttercream flowers. I must have made a hundred! I had them on paper plates and parchment paper all over the kitchen, testing out decorators tips and the perfect frosting consistency.

It was SO MUCH FUN. I am totally addicted.

Here is the run down on tips for making this cake:

I used this white cake recipe. I tinted three cups of the batter yellow and the remaining orange.

The cakes were all baked in 6-inch round cake pans and leveled to the same height. I chilled the cakes prior to assembly. (Be warned, this is a tall cake!)

I used white buttercream between the layers. (half recipe) The buttercream between the layers is a creamier consistency than the flowers. For the flowers I used this crusting buttercream recipe, which is much more sturdy. The flowers hold their shape much better.

I tinted the frosting 4 different shades of pink by using varying amounts of one bottle of pink Ateco gel food coloring. Using mostly the tear drop shaped decorators tip, I piped out roses and daisies and a bunch of other blobs that look like flowers but that I do not know a specific name for.  I would pipe out a flower, set it on the plate or parchment, then freeze it until ready to assemble.

There was a bit of yellow and green for embellishment and details.

Pink Buttercream Flower Cake inspired by HGTV

If you have made a layer cake than this will be an easy assembly! If you have ever taken a course on cake decorating or even watched buttercream flower video’s on youtube (that’s all I did!) then you CAN make this cake.

Pink Buttercream Flower Cake inspired by HGTV

I am going to try and put together a little tutorial for the flowers and assembly, as that was a bit trickier than I had imagined. Hope to get that up soon!

Looking forward to next month’s HGTV magazine!

Comments

• Laura says:

Wow! This cake is almost too pretty to eat!!! Amazing work!

Laura

• Monica says:

You are amazing! HGTV magazine should be so honored. To tell you that you’re talented is too obvious. I love how you follow your passion and clearly, this is your calling. Those buttercream flowers are just incredible. I would never let anyone cut into it! haha – at least you have tons of pictures to preserve your masterpieces, right??

• Karen says:

This cake is just beautiful! I love the contrast of the yellow and orange layers as well as the artfully displayed flowers on top. This shows how much patience you have because I am sure this took a long time to complete. I can bake, but the decorating part is very challenging.

• Lisa says:

That is gorgeous. I’ll have to give it a try. I’m not a fan of fondant and am always looking for ways to make pretty things out of buttercream.

• Zirkie says:

It must be one of the most beautiful cakes that I have ever seen! I would be to sorry to eat such a beautiful creation!!

• Kim P says:

OMG! This is so beautiful – so much more than the cover of HGTV!

• Pam Lawley says:

oh my starz!! I am so very, very impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my flowers – especially roses!! – always look so blobbed!!! you did phenomenally!

• zooperson says:

Wow! That is one of the most beautiful cakes I have ever seen. I love magazines too and constantly get ideas from them, but I don’t think I would have picked up on what you did. Well done!

• Geanie C says:

I love this cake!! I’m going to try this! You’re such an inspiration to me. I look forward to seeing all your new baking adventures! I follow you faithfully and I make A LOT of your cakes. ☺️ I love baking and experimenting with frosting techniques and you give a lot of fantastic ideas! So thank you!!

• kristin says:

You really show the cake decorating as an art form when you translate the front of a magazine into your cake. That shows true creativity. It is so pretty and when I saw the inside my mouth dropped! Just stunning. Really. And I continue to find it so interesting, being creative myself, how certain aspects of the creative process can enthrall one person and possibly make another person go bonkers. I would never have the patience to make buttercream flowers all day! So glad you found a new area of your craft to be passionate about. It is an exquisite cake!

• Amy @Very Culinary says:

Absolutely stunning!

• Ashley | The Recipe Rebel says:

You will come and make this for my girl’s 3rd birthday in a couple weeks, right?? 😀 I have been wanting to make one like this for so long but I know it would look nothing like this! Lol.

• Kim Barker says:

My fingers are poised over the keyboard, mouth gaping, eyes like saucers! I LOVE this cake. It’s every meaning of the word perfection! The flawlessness of the buttercream on the cake makes it look like fondant, and the detail in the flowers make them look like gum paste. You must have been so thrilled when you were finished. I would have been absolutely giddy!!

• Susan says:

Yes, please do a tutorial on the buttercream flowers. The cake is absolutely beautiful. You really out did yourself!

• michele @ i-heart-baking says:

soooooo pretty! the perfect spring cake! now i am itching to go pipe some buttercream flowers!!!

• Donna Zell says:

This is beautiful! Maybe you can help us with a dilemma we seem to have when trying to make pink butter cream that tastes good, which we think means adding at least half butter. As you know, when butter is used, the butter cream is more of an ivory color and when you try to make a pale pink color it comes out peachy looking. We need pale pink for some cupcakes we are making for a wedding. But we want the frosting to taste good too. Any suggestions as to how to get pale pink and still use some butter? Thank you!

• Jolena @TheRubyKitchen says:

Oh Amanda this is such a beautiful cake! Peonies are my favorite flower and I love the mix of blooms and colors you used. Pinned!!

• Kim d. says:

That is BEAUTIFUL! I would cry if someone made me a cake like that. I may even cry harder if I could make a cake that amazing!

• Donna L. says:

This cake made me smile! I have a weakness for buttercream roses. When I was little, anytime my mom was doing a cake (which was fairly often as she was the family cake lady) she would make my sister and I each a buttercream rose so that we would not keep sneaking into her icing bowl! Ahh, good memories 🙂 Now my sister and I are the cake ladies!

I think I am going to make a version of this cake for family dinner tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Tesei says:

Your buttercream roses are amazing!!!

• Brooks says:

A most splendid cake, Amanda! Stunning, really.

• Beth says:

I have to ask… How did you get such a crisp-looking slice? It’s all gorgeous!!! I don’t really care for fondant, so to me this is THE most beautiful cake!!!!

• Barbara says:

My first words were, “holy moly!” My second thought was wondering how to make the details in those petals and the creativity in the layers. You really have such a wonderful talent for cakes. Stunning!

• Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom says:

I am the same way. . I love thumbing through a magazine with a cup of good coffee . . I still believe in magazines!! 🙂 this cake is gorgeous! can’t wait for the video on how to make these beautiful flowers!

• Renee @ Tortillas and Honey says:

This cake is a work of art! It came out absolutely beautiful. Everything about this cake is lovely!