St. Patricks Day Cake

filed under: Miscellaneous on March 11, 2011

The smiley, happy, silly rainbows on this cake are totally inspired by those amazing frosting covered sugar cookies you get at the bakery. Or at least, at the grocery store bakery that I would frequent in my youth.

Those cookies were the only thing that made shopping trips tolerable for my mother when I was young. The promise of just one of those delectable cookies was enough to exhilarate my senses and make me… well… behave.

Its funny how sugar still triggers that emotional response in me today!

Anywho… here are some over the top, crazy, supposed to make your heart happy rainbows.

IMG_0650.stamp

All of those rainbows are pure sugar highs… courtesy of my favorite buttercream recipe of all time.

IMG_0695.stamp

Since this is a St. Patrick's Day cake I actually made hundreds of gold coins for the base of the rainbows. I just made my homemade sprinkles, only bigger. But since I made them bigger they were taking forever to dry and I got impatient.

Hence, fluffy frosting clouds.

Next year I will plan better.

I mean, I probably wont, but I can pretend.

IMG_0681.stamp

And then, because it seems to be physically impossible for me to make a cake without a surprise inside, I decided to add a shamrock.

Seriously… I made so many impulsive choices on this cake! I dont know what I was thinking.

Like instead of a bright green jolly shamrock, mine is really, really dark. I thought it would be a fun to make Nigella's Guiness chocolate cake (beer… St. Patrick's Day… it seemed like a good idea) and then just add a little bit of green so it wouldn't be IN YOUR FACE green.

Like with this St. Patty's Day cake.

I will show you what I mean.

IMG_0751.stamp

Its dark.

And mostly resembles a shamrock.

At least it tastes fantastic!! (white cake recipe here)

This was one TOUGH cake. I really dont think a tutorial is possible because I need a full year to forget how much work it was.

Sorta like having a baby. Which I will be doing in 17 days. (scheduled C-Section)

TMI for a baking blog???

Sorry. 🙂

Comments

• sara says:

Wow, that is SO cool! Gorgeous cake. 🙂

• ANA says:

Eu adoro suas criações! simplesmente maravilhosas!

• Renee (Kudos Kitchen) says:

Only 17 days before baby? Oh my gosh! I am so thrilled for you! God bless you and your family Amanda. May you have a wonderful birth-day for you and your brand new baby boy. Oh, your cake is really cool too but it’s nothing compared to your pending production! Sending you love and best wishes!

• RainyDayCottage says:

That is one awesome cake! I wish you would share some tips on how to make the two cakes come together!!

• Shannon says:

You never cease to amaze us!! This cake just made me smile! Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!

• Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

Geez, I still can’t quite wrap my head around this one, how on earth did you do that? You really should be an engineer, the way you construct your cakes is amazing. So exciting that the big day is almost here!

• SweetSugarBelle says:

I missed this somehow and I am so sad. I wanted to be the first to see it! This is actually stunning jawdropping, and I really cannot wrap my head around how you do the cake surprises…I dont comprehend. You are just wow. I am WOWWED again. That is all.

• Brittany says:

I love your blog so much! You’re extremely skilled and I just WISH i could try this cake! The shamrock insert blows my mind!
    🙂 Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing

• mary505 says:

me encanta todo lo que haces eres genial y adoro tus post

• Mad Amyt says:

this cake is amazing! i have never seen anything like this! i totally by luck stumled across your blog and i am hooked! oh, and buy the way i think your rainbow pancakes are amazingly cool.
    ~ A

• amalia says:

Beautiful!!! I have been thinking about you and wondering if your due date was near!!! Good luck…and get rest while you can (of course you know that already…with your other kiddos:)) We just adopted our third….he is such a little miracle…we are so in love already….I guess the exhaustion is well worth it:)

• Jennifer Nixon says:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this!!! Can’t wait to hear all about the babe too!! 🙂
    No such thing as TMI!

• Linda V @ Bubble and Sweet says:

Beautiful cake and best wished for the new baby.

• Laura P says:

Umm… wow!

• cherylene says:

It is very cool. Love it. I want to taste your cakes and cookies. I wish you lived in my city, or across the street and was one of those neighbors who would call me over when you needed someone to taste test your baking goodies. What? A girl can dream.

• Gayatri Kumar says:

OMG!! This cake is absolutely stunning!! I love – absolutely love your blog!! And your techniques – they’re just superb! Im always left jaw-dropped! and drooling .. =)
    xx
    G

• Auntie Pam says:

My friend Diane in Florida, her youngest of 5, will have his Bday on Thursday his name is Patrick Eamon (PET)- This is exactly what he needs for his St Patrick Day Bday cake !!! Too cute! Great job and congrats on the upcoming baby.
    Auntie Pam of So Calif

• Amanda says:

This is gorgeous!

• Sue says:

As if the outside of the cake wasn’t awe-inspiring enough…:)

• Frk. Overballe says:

beautiful cake! and congratulations with the baby 🙂

• Janine says:

you are totally nuts! in the most awesome sense of course 🙂 I always anticipate each and every post of yours cos your ideas are totally off the wall!
    best wishes for the arrival of the little one 🙂

• Suzanne says:

Fantastic cake! Love the beautiful exterior and that shamrock carving! You are just amazing!!! If you are mad enough to do this again, how about Guiness chocolate cake with green-white cake shamrock? Only if you are seriously mad enough.
    In the meantime, we look forward to the arrival of your new addition.

• Crystal & Co says:

That shamrock in the middle is too awesome!!!! Glad I found your site today.

• Crystal & Co says:

That shamrock in the middle is too awesome!!!! Glad I found your site today.

• Fairytalefrosting.blogspot.com says:

This cake made my morning! How fun!! You are brilliant my friend!