St. Patricks Day Cake

filed under: Miscellaneous on March 11, 2011

The smiley, happy, silly rainbows on this cake are totally inspired by those amazing frosting covered sugar cookies you get at the bakery. Or at least, at the grocery store bakery that I would frequent in my youth.

Those cookies were the only thing that made shopping trips tolerable for my mother when I was young. The promise of just one of those delectable cookies was enough to exhilarate my senses and make me… well… behave.

Its funny how sugar still triggers that emotional response in me today!

Anywho… here are some over the top, crazy, supposed to make your heart happy rainbows.

IMG_0650.stamp

All of those rainbows are pure sugar highs… courtesy of my favorite buttercream recipe of all time.

IMG_0695.stamp

Since this is a St. Patrick's Day cake I actually made hundreds of gold coins for the base of the rainbows. I just made my homemade sprinkles, only bigger. But since I made them bigger they were taking forever to dry and I got impatient.

Hence, fluffy frosting clouds.

Next year I will plan better.

I mean, I probably wont, but I can pretend.

IMG_0681.stamp

And then, because it seems to be physically impossible for me to make a cake without a surprise inside, I decided to add a shamrock.

Seriously… I made so many impulsive choices on this cake! I dont know what I was thinking.

Like instead of a bright green jolly shamrock, mine is really, really dark. I thought it would be a fun to make Nigella's Guiness chocolate cake (beer… St. Patrick's Day… it seemed like a good idea) and then just add a little bit of green so it wouldn't be IN YOUR FACE green.

Like with this St. Patty's Day cake.

I will show you what I mean.

IMG_0751.stamp

Its dark.

And mostly resembles a shamrock.

At least it tastes fantastic!! (white cake recipe here)

This was one TOUGH cake. I really dont think a tutorial is possible because I need a full year to forget how much work it was.

Sorta like having a baby. Which I will be doing in 17 days. (scheduled C-Section)

TMI for a baking blog???

Sorry. ๐Ÿ™‚

Comments

• Shaina says:

Gorgeous! I can’t wait to meet your newest addition, even though you’re my favorite pregnant momma right now.

• Kristen says:

YOU amaze me. I can’t even wrap my head around how you did this, Amanda!! Beautiful!

• Crystal & Co says:

That shamrock in the middle is too awesome!!!! Glad I found your site today.

• Crystal & Co says:

That shamrock in the middle is too awesome!!!! Glad I found your site today.

• Crystal & Co says:

That shamrock in the middle is too awesome!!!! Glad I found your site today.

• Crystal & Co says:

That shamrock in the middle is too awesome!!!! Glad I found your site today.

• Aubrey says:

Absolutely awesome!! I’m obsessed with your blog(s), they are so much fun to read and very informative & inspiring!!! I just wanted to share some funny things we have common. My name is Aubrey (I think your daughter’s name is Audrey), I have son named Kolton (i think you also have son Colton), I’m due with my second baby in 32 days, and i’m also obsessed with rainbows!! Best of luck with your delivery!

• Big Boys Oven says:

awesome, so creative! let’s sclebrate! ๐Ÿ™‚ This time I did a guinness hat for st Patrick’s day!

• Lorie says:

I love you and your surprise cakes! I am so excited to see pictures of your new little one.

• Miri Leigh says:

Oh my goodness- the inside of this cake is fantastic! So creative- thanks for sharing!

• Kimmy Brooks says:

YAY BABY!
    Oh, and the cake is pretty too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Rachael says:

Wow! That is amazing. It looks so great!!

• Erin says:

Amazing cake! So cheerful! I bet it was a lot of work. I can’t imagine! Congratulations on the new baby!!!

• Amy's blah, blah, blog says:

Holy cow!! I cannot believe this cake. I am just stunned at the shamrock, which totally looks like a shamrock by the way! And all this at this far along in your pregnancy? Are you joking me? I would so be on the couch eating girl scout cookies. Who am I kidding, I totally am doing that and I’m not even pregnant. Ha!
    Anyway, congrats and enjoy your last days while you await your newest reason to smile!

• Lauren @ Crave.Indulge.Satisfy. says:

Love this! Those rainbows are too cute, and I just knew there had to be some type of surprise inside the cake!

• Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction says:

I’m so amazed by all of your cakes with pretty designs on the inside. This one is especially amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Brittany says:

This is such an amazing cake! I love your idea of using Nigella’s recipe, and hiding the shamrock inside. You are insanely creative, as always. Thanks for sharing with us.

• grace says:

17 days! can’t you wait until april 8th? it’s the birthday of someone pretty terrific, if she does say so herself. ๐Ÿ™‚
    masterful work on this one, amanda–it makes me think of the care bears for some reason. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Dessert Darling says:

I die. I DIE! This CAKE is beyond my DREAMS!!!!!
    True story: when I was a little kid I wanted a cake with a rainbow on it REALLLLY badly. The cake I was served had a “rainbow” with random colors that were out of order. I was Very disappointed. THIS was the Cake of my Childhood dreams!!! Realized like, 24 years later!
    You are so incredibly talented and your blog entries are such a gift!

• Mima says:

Once again you’ve outdone yourself !!!
    Mon dieu :O) you’re awesome.
    17 days? that happened fast…hihihi…. apologies :O)… at least from my side of the screen.

• Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles says:

I love, love, love the rainbows and clouds on this cake. It reminds me of the 3/4-length baseball shirt I had as a kid, with a glittery rainbow iron-on, and the letters of my name ironed on down my sleeve. ๐Ÿ™‚ And I’m not going to even ask HOW IN THE WORLD you made that shamrock. Now THAT would be TMI!!!!!

• Gabrielle says:

Miam miam!

• Lori @ RecipeGirl says:

You’re so freakin’ amazing. I heart you.

• Avi Cataudella says:

I was actually going to attempt something like this, since when I made your heart cake for valentines day, it was a huge hit and the bf’s work! Although, with two days to go, might skip it this year and just make them a reg cake with an ices St Patty’s day theme. There’s always Easter!
    Thanks for the always inspiring posts ๐Ÿ™‚ You’re an amazing baker, and good luck with the C-section!

• carine says:

HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!! THIS IS AMAZING! I was first ‘wow’ed by your rainbow frosting , then I scrolled down,the inside beauty just blew me off! great job!