Simple decorated Sunflower Cupcakes are fun for every age level. This is the perfect cupcakes for any occasion that involves flowers!
- 1 c 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 tsp. McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 32 oz 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp. 2% or whole milk
- pinch salt
- Beat butter in bowl of stand mixer with whisk attachment on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. (about 3 minutes)
- Add vanilla and almond extract.
- With mixer on low, slowly add in confectioners' sugar , milk, and salt; frequently scrape sides and bottom of bowl.
- Once incorporated, whip frosting for at least 3 minutes on medium high to high. (My mixer went for 7 minutes)
- If frosting is too thick to spread, gradually beat in additional milk.
- Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Rewhip before using
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Next time it’s your turn to bring cupcakes to school/church/work/party be sure to consider these! They are fun, always leave people in awe, and definitely delicious!
Here is a quick video on how to made these.
Here is the recipe I used for the buttercream. I only made HALF this recipe.
Ok, let’s talk details.
I divided up the vanilla buttercream into two bowls then tinted one yellow and one orange.
For the yellow and orange petals, I used a #104 tip.
For the bottom layer of chocolate frosting, I used a #10 open round tip.
For the first outer layer of chocolate buttercream star dollops, I used a #18 tip.
For the next inner layer of small star dollops, I used a #16 tip.
For the next layer of tiny dollops, I used a #5 open round tip.
For the final inner layer of tiny dollops, I used a #2 round tip.
The above cupcake is a bit different from the video because I went back in and added more petals. Even though that is not typically how a real sunflower looks, I thought it looked great as a cupcake.
One cupcake took about 2 minutes to complete, so you can do a dozen in less than 30 minutes! Decorating cupcakes is one of my favorite ways to relax. Some women get massages, I massage pastry bags full of whipped buttercream.
Works for me!