Vintage Easter Cookies

filed under: Cookies · Miscellaneous on March 31, 2010

So I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to make some cookies for hubby’s work. The theme was a birthday/secular Easter. (for all those folks who wonder “why no crosses or other religious symbols?”)

I was so excited!!

Until I was halfway through decorating.

I realized that I had made some of the ugliest cookies ever. My color choices were weird. My designs were awkward. My concept is weak.

Oh well.

I do not have the energy nor the time to start over.

I wanted BIG Easter eggs (these are about the size of your hand) so I had to make my own template and cut out each individual cookie.

I was going for vintage colors… so I added a drop of yellow food coloring to everything but the white.

Everything was loosely based on this cookie.

Vintage Easter Cookies

In theory kind of cute… but who wants to eat a sugar cookie with hardly any frosting??? Hello!

Live and learn.

Vintage Easter Cookies

What he said.

Vintage Cookies

(I sorta love this one, so please dont tell me if you think its ugly)

Bunny Cookies

Happy Birthday Cookie

Vintage Cookies

There it is. My sad attempt at birthday/secular Easter cookies.

NEXT year I have grand ideas!!

I used this sugar cookie recipe for the cookies.

Comments

• Marisa says:

These are so freakin cute!!

• Jan Heidbrink says:

There is soooo much heart, love, art, in these cookies! I love them! Thank you for sharing!

• Wendy says:

About icing and cookies….you hit the nail right on the head. The more frosting, the better the cookie, in my book. Cookies are just a vehicle for frosting, as cake is also a vehicle to get frosting to my tummy!

• Mary says:

Olivia and I love the flower cookie, we think it is so beautiful!

• Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} says:

They are all wonderful!

• Renee says:

Your vintage cookies are wonderful! I swear, you must use the smallest piping tip ever! What number do you use to get your lines sooo thin? Nice work on the piping. You have a very steady hand. Very detailed cookies ~ Great job!
    Renee

• Barbara says:

Jealous of your icing skills! I need to get more crafty with mine!

• Bri Ana H. says:

Amanda, just had to mention again that your recipients LOVED the cookies! They were a hit…. delicious AND beautiful! What a surprise to have these wonderful GIGANTIC cookies. We are very pleased with the results. Thanks again for delivering such an awesome product. ๐Ÿ™‚
    (and don’t be so hard on yourself!!!) ๐Ÿ™‚

• Natasha says:

These are truly wonderful. The bunny with the balloon is very olf fashioned and nostalgic. Bravo!

• Cecilia says:

These are beautiful, love the colors!

• Ellen says:

LOVE the tweet cookie and the one with multi-colored flowers!

• Michelle Andrews says:

Awkward and weak are NOT adjectives I would use to describe anything you have done. They are beautiful. I think the colors turned out great, too!

• vanillasugar says:

must have the tweet cookie! too cute!

• Jes Grabinski says:

All I can say is “wow”,those are some seriously beautiful cookies. You obviously are very detail oriented…and must have some awesome patience!! I love them:)

• Kalle says:

I love the big cookie idea and the tweet decoration is awesome

• kathy@polwig.com says:

OMG those are adorable, especially one with the bunny… I will eat it… looks too good to pass up.

• Maurie says:

I love those cookies! Especially the flower one so cute!

• Stephanie says:

Working on my egg ones right now! I had to make my own template too … though it is more “oval-ish” then “egg-ish”. Maybe next year I will get a real cutter. Tomorrow I will decorate. IF they turn out I will let you know. ๐Ÿ™‚ You make it look so easy … and yours are adorable as always.

• moira says:

I think these are great! Don’t be so hard on yourself. You should’ve seen the easter cookies I tried to decorate today. Ugh. Disastrous. ๐Ÿ™

• Kari says:

Awesome looking cookies! Your “rejects” look better than my cookies. LOL. I like the “tweet” cookie and the one with the flowers.
    Have a blessed Easter.
    Kari

• Amy says:

OH my goodness, I am in LOVE with the old fashion easter bunny cookie, and the one with the flowers! You are so uber-talented, girl..:)

• Shirin says:

I think your easter egg cookies are pretty! I love all the detail you’ve put into them!
    And actually, I kinda like cookies without frosting too. Any cookie is a good cookie ^_^

• Lyndsey says:

These look amazing!!! The ‘tweet’ one is my favorite, but the one with all the flowers is awesome too. Great job!!!

• denise says:

oh amanda i love these…you are too hard on yourself…not everyone wants frosting…some people love your artistic details and so many of your cookies are too good to eat…i actually love the colors you chose…i had big plans of making your recipe sugar cookies (using your simple icing with extra almond extract) and just drawing a bunny on there or making them egg shaped and letting the children decorate them and then taking them around in a basket to the neighbors (we have several housebound elderly neighbors who would LOVE this) but that is just one more thing that will have to go into an idea bin or “to do” another day (i never did blog about your cookies…i made them, photographed them and had raving reviews for them at a cookie exchange back at christmas! which would have been one more opportunity to link back to you on my blog…again, for another day)…anyway, thanks for the inspiration anyway! love these…

• ashleycupcakes says: