Apple Cheddar Sliders are dessert sliders blending sweet apple pie filling with subtle savory cheddar cheese slices, all topped with a buttery cinnamon and sugar topping. For another delicious apple dessert, try my Apple Pie Dessert Nachos!
Apple Cheddar Sliders
Sliders have come a long way since the 1940s when sailors in the U.S. Navy would eat mini hamburgers. The hamburgers were so greasy, they would ‘slide’ down the sailors’ throats in about 2 bites! When I think of sliders, I immediately think of White Castle or my Cheeseburger Sliders.
Although White Castle has desserts, they do not offer dessert sliders, but after they see this recipe, they just might! The combination of apple pie filling and cheddar cheese in these Apple Cheddar Sliders may sound strange, but it’s actually a perfect union of food pairings.
This specific recipe is one that I LOVE to share. It boggles the mind and often people make up their minds about it before trying it. But once they have taken that first bite, their eyes light up! It is as sweet and scrumptious as apple pie with just the smallest hint of something different. The cheddar seems to lose its potent flavor and perfectly complement the apple and cinnamon.
Apple Cheddar Sliders Recipe
Sliders are so fun to eat and really easy to make. These dessert sliders are no exception.
Slider Ingredients (full recipe below)
- King’s Hawaiian Rolls–Or, if you feel motivated, make your own homemade Hawaiian Rolls!
- Apple Pie Filling
- Cheddar cheese
- Brown Sugar
How to Make Sliders
These sliders are a must-have for your next gathering or get-together for any occasion. Watch people’s reactions when you tell them that they are Apple Cheddar Sliders. Most people don’t realize that cheese and apples really do go together. Try my Apple Gouda Grilled Cheese if you are still not sold on the combination.
To make these sliders, grab a 9×13-inch baking dish (but they can also fit in a smaller dish like an 8×11-inch dish). Spray the pan with some non-stick spray and lay the bottom halves of the rolls in the pan. Spread the apple pie filling over the bottoms of the rolls an top with the cheddar cheese slices. Place the tops of the rolls on top and prepare the topping.
Baking Apple Cheddar Sliders
Before you bake the sliders, don’t forget to add the sweet buttery topping to the rolls. I’m serious here, you really don’t want to skip this step! Simply mix the melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl until it is combined. Then, brush the mixture over the tops of the rolls. Cover the sliders with aluminum foil and bake for about 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, remove the aluminum foil from the pan and bake for about 5 more minutes. Once you remove them from the oven, slice them, and serve. I really didn’t get a whole lot of cheese taste, mostly apple with the cinnamon and sugar, which is fine with me! It would be interesting what you all tasted when you bit into one of these sliders. Let me know!
Looking for More Apple Desserts?
Apple Cheddar Sliders
- 1 package (12 rolls) Kings Hawaiian rolls
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup (half a stick or 57g) butter
- ½ cup (100g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Split your rolls in half, place the bottom half in a prepared 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Spread the apple pie filling over the bottom half of the rolls.
- Top with cheddar cheese slices
- Place the top half of the buns on top.
- In a medium bowl combine melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the butter mixture over the top of the buns.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake for an additional 5 minutes (or until the tops of the sliders turn a golden brown).
- Remove from oven, slice and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.