Fried Apple Spice Cake Sticks are a sweet treat that will bring you back to your days of waiting in line for your bag of mini donuts! With sugar and apple pie spice coating a piece of pound cake, I dare you to eat just one! For another sweet treat with pound cake, try my Kentucky Butter Crunch Cake recipe!
Fried Apple Spice Cake Sticks
How many of you go straight for the mini donut truck as soon as you get to the fair? I feel like I have to say ‘You’re Welcome’ to all of you that love fresh mini donuts since Ed Anderson opened his Lil’ Orbits stores in Minnesota back in 1975! Anderson created the machine that makes mini donuts after many trials and errors. Thank goodness he didn’t give up! The three donut locations he started were doing so well, he and his family decided to take it on the road! His first donut truck was an old postal van. The rest is history! The good news is you don’t have to wait for the local fair to come around with a mini donut truck since these Fried Apple Spice Cake Sticks taste just like mini donuts. You’re welcome, again😉.
Fried Apple Spice Cake Sticks Recipe
With just a few ingredients, you will have a sweet treat that you can enjoy right out of the pan! Plus, there is no waiting in line for your bag of Fried Apple Spice Cake Sticks!
- Pound cake: You can buy a cake at the store, just let it thaw before you use it. Or, if you are feeling ambitious, make my Vanilla Pound Cake recipe.
- Butter: Unsalted
- Sugar: You can’t have a treat like this without sugar!
- Apple Pie Spice: Use Homemade Apple Pie Spice to give the cake sticks a fall-like flavor. Be aware that homemade spice blends can be more flavorful and powerful than the store-bought versions. I recommend starting with HALF the amount called for when using the homemade version. For instance, if a recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of apple pie spice, add 1 teaspoon of the homemade apple pie spice.
How to Make Fried Apple Spice Cake Sticks
To get your rectangular cakes, cut the pound cake in half, followed by cutting each half into 1-inch rectangles. You will probably get about 16 cakes. In a small bowl, mix the sugar and apple pie spice. This will be the delicious coating for your Fried Apple Spice Cake Sticks.
Frying your Fried Apple Spice Cake Sticks
The key to frying the Fried Apple Spice Cake Sticks is to make sure you coat the sticks with the sugar and spice mixture when hot! Over medium heat, melt two tablespoons of butter at a time to coat 4-5 of the pound cake sticks. As soon as you have browned each side, immediately coat the sticks in the sugar and spice mixture. Get all of that sugary goodness on each stick! Continue to add 2 tablespoons of butter each time you brown the next 4-5 sticks. Pretty soon, you will have a neat stack of Fried Apple Spice Cake Sticks!
How to Serve Fried Apple Spice Cake Sticks
You can definitely eat Fried Apple Spice Cake Sticks with your hands! But, we actually prefer to eat them with a fork and with a couple of topping options! The first option would be to top the sticks with my apple topping from my Spiced Apple Pancakes. Another delicious way to serve the sticks would be with a scoop of your favorite ice cream!
Apple Topping for Fried Apple Spice Sticks
If you want to try something other than ice cream to top the Fried Apple Spice Sticks, definitely make the apple topping that goes on my Spiced Apple Pancakes.
Apple Topping Ingredients
- Apples–Choose any kind of apples for this topping, just make sure they are peeled, cored, and chopped.
- Brown sugar
- Apple pie spice
- Corn starch
For the apple topping, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the apples, brown sugar, apple pie spice, and water. Stir these ingredients together and prepare the water and corn starch mixture in a small bowl. Add the water and corn starch mixture to the apple mixture and cook it all together for 10-15 minutes. This will thicken the topping and be the fruity sweetness you will pile on the Fried Apple Spice Sticks. Some people may even want seconds of the topping, without the sticks! Yes, it’s that good!
Looking for More Sweet Treats?
Most people have a sweet tooth, including me, so I have plenty of recipes to choose from when you are craving something sweet.
Coated in sugar and apple pie spice, Fried Apple Spice Cake Sticks will be the sweet treat that will satisfy your mini donut craving!
- 1 (16 ounce) pound cake, thawed
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
Slice pound cake in half lengthwise and then cut each half into 1-inch rectangles. You should have between 16 and 18 mini cakes.
- In a medium bowl mix together sugar and apple pie spice. Set aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet, over medium heat. Working in batches, add 4-5 mini cakes to the skillet, toss in the butter to coat on all sides. Brown each side for 30-60 seconds and then remove from pan.
- While the cakes are still hot, immediately toss them in the sugar-spice mixture.
- Add another 2 tablespoons of butter and repeat with the next batch.
- Continue until you have used all of the mini cakes.