For a warm, comforting breakfast that will have everyone hopping out of bed, these Spiced Apple Pancakes are the perfect blend of sweet and spice to get your day or weekend started! For more breakfast favorites, try my Best French Toast recipe and Pumpkin Pancakes!
Spiced Apple Pancakes
‘Fall’ into the season by warming everyone up with Spiced Apple Pancakes. Topped with a sweet homemade apple topping, your family will be running into the kitchen for breakfast! Pancakes have been around for centuries, and have been called many things, even out of style for a while! But, I am so glad that pancakes, johnnycakes, flapjacks, hotcakes, or whatever you call the cakes, are back in style to stay! I also love the idea that pancakes are not just for breakfast anymore! Serve them with my Sausage Patties for added protein!
Spiced Apple Pancakes Recipe
Pancakes, on their own, are a favorite around here. Adding my homemade apple pie spice to the pancakes is one thing, but I also made my own apple topping for this Spiced Apple Pancakes Recipe to really make this breakfast stand out! Don’t grab the box of pancake mix–you got this on your own! You will need ingredients for both the pancakes and the apple topping.
How to Make Spiced Apple Pancakes
To make the pancakes, pour out about a 1/4 cup of batter onto a skillet that is set at medium-low. After 2-3 minutes, or when you notice the batter bubble a little, flip it over to brown the other side. Did you know that the world record for flipping a pancake is 140 flips in one minute?!?! That record has not been broken, so if you go for it, let me know how you do! Once you have attempted to break the world record of flipping a pancake, prepare the apple topping to smother the apple pancakes.
Spiced Apple Pancakes
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt, (can omit if desired)
- 2 cups (490 g) buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 large apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- ½ cup water (reserve 1 tablespoon for slurry)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, apple pie spice, and salt. Whisk in the milk, egg, vanilla extract, and oil, until incorporated.
- Heat skillet over medium heat, and spray it with nonstick spray.
- Using a 1/8-1/4 size measuring cup, pour batter onto skillet. Spread the batter out more if necessary, to about 4-inch diameters.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook the pancake 2 to 3 minutes, or until the bubbles begin popping on top of the pancake and it is golden brown on the bottom.
- Gently but quickly flip over pancake. Cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes (with the temperature still on medium-low), until the other side is golden as well.
- Repeat with the remaining pancake batter.
- In a small saucepan melt butter. Add apples, brown sugar, apple pie spice, and water. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining tablespoon of water and pour into apple mixture. Stir to combine and cook until soft (about 10-15). Mixture should be slightly thick.
- Serve pancakes topped with apple topping.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Looking for More Breakfast Favorites?
From savory to sweet, I have a variety of breakfasts to make your morning special!