Skillet Beef Nachos are a great way to bring fun to any occasion! Layers upon layers of warm tortilla chips loaded with flavorful, seasoned ground beef, gooey cheese, and loads of fresh veggies, this dish is bound to make anyone’s day just a little brighter. If you love these ground beef nachos, be sure to try my Irish Nachos, too!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Meat: I love ground beef for nachos. However, you could certainly make these with ground turkey or ground chicken. In fact, if you prefer chicken, check out my Skillet Chicken Nachos!
Cheese: It’s all about personal preference when it comes to cheese. For beef nachos, I love both mild cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese. Try them out with your favorite kinds of cheese.
Tortilla Chips: For this recipe, any type of tortilla chips can be used, such as corn or flour tortilla chips. I like to use a sturdy chip that will hold up in the oven, doesn’t get soggy, and can hold a big pile of toppings. For a crispy texture, choose a thin tortilla chip. For a soft and chewy texture, choose a thicker tortilla chip. Ultimately, the type of tortilla chip used is a personal preference!
Toppings: Choices for toppings are endless! I have given you some options, but feel free to add more or substitute with your favorites.
Can I Make Beef Nachos Without a Skillet?
Yes! I love the skillet method for these nachos because not only does the skillet hold in every bit of topping that may fall off, it holds its heat longer than a sheet pan and keep your nachos warm and perfect. However, you can also use a lined baking sheet. We do that occasionally, especially if we need to double the recipe. Just wrap a cookie sheet in aluminum foil and follow the rest of the instructions exactly the same way.
How to Serve Nachos
- Dice all of your topping ingredients ahead of time.
- Have salsa, more sour cream, and plates and napkins ready because once they are done folks will want to dig in!
- If you have picky eaters, the topping can go on the side in small dishes. People can pile on the ingredients they like and skip the ones they don’t.
- ½ avocado, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- ¼ cup scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup jalapeños, diced
- sour cream, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooked hamburger, cooked onion, refried beans and taco seasoning. Mix well.
- To a large, oven-safe skillet, add ⅓ of the tortilla chips. Top with the beef-bean mixture, ⅓ of the cheese, and ⅓ of the black beans. Repeat two more layers.
- Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
- Top with tomato, avocado, green onions and cilantro. Drizzle with sour cream.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.