I can’t think of a better way to treat someone you love on their birthday than with these fun Birthday Cake Cookies! For another fun birthday treat, try my Birthday Cake Lasagna.
Birthday Cake Cookies
Quite possibly the best treat to add to any birthday celebration is SPRINKLES! I added sprinkles to these Birthday Cake Cookies as well as to the frosting after the cookie sandwich was assembled. I knew this recipe would be a hit the second I saw my kids’ eyes light up when they saw them! Not only do they look like a seriously fun treat, but they taste pretty amazing too!
These cookies taste JUST like Funfetti Cake! If you happen to love birthday cake, these are the cookies for you.
Birthday Cake Cookie Sandwiches
The texture of this treat is cookie-like on the outside (almost crispy) and a bit soft on the inside. I made mine BIG. As in, I could barely get the whole cookie sandwich in my mouth… but I have never been known to back down from a challenge. Especially when there is cookies, frosting, and sprinkles involved.
To make these Birthday Cake Cookie Sandwiches you will need:
Birthday Cake Cookies recipe (below)
Vanilla Buttercream Recipe (1/2 recipe)
Sprinkles (Also known as Rainbow Jimmies)
Cookie Scoop I used a large scoop that holds 5 tablespoons for the cookie and a medium scoop that holds 4 tablespoons for the frosting.
When adding the frosting in the middle of the finished cookie, it’s a good idea to try and get a consistent amount on each cookie and that is why I used the scoop for the frosting. When adding the top cookie I applied slow, even pressure to make sure that the frosting spilled out just barely and was distributed evenly around the cookie. If you don’t have a scoop you can certainly just spoon the frosting on.
I also decided to add some sprinkles to the outside of the cookie and absolutely love how it looks!
These Birthday Cake cookie sandwiches are BIG! So amazingly deliciously gloriously big. If you want to make them smaller you certainly can, just plan on having more than 18 total cookies.
For the frosting, I whipped up a batch of my Whipped Vanilla Buttercream. You will only need half of that recipe but I like to make the whole batch and store the remaining in the refrigerator just in case. You never know when a craving for delicious frosting will hit!
Birthday Cake Cookie Sandwiches
- 1 1/4 cup (250g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks or 170g) unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons McCormick vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick almond extract
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3 cups (384g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole milk room temperature
- 3/4 cups Rainbow Jimmies
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add sugar and butter together in a large bowl and beat with a hand-held mixer until light and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add baking powder, extract, and salt, and mix until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until completely combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Alternate adding the flour and milk to the butter mixture and mix until completely combined. (Do not overmix)
- Add rainbow jimmies to the batter and gently combine by hand.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop out batter and place on cookies sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let them cool completely before adding frosting.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
These cookies would go beautifully with my Birthday Cake!
Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe! i love it
These birthday cake cookies look so delicious! Question please. I recently moved to Colorado. Baking is different here! Any recommendations on how to change ingredients and baking time to adjust for the altitude?
Do you have a cookbook out?
My book is called Surprise-Inside Cakes. 🙂
I made these for my son to take to school for his birthday. He has Celiac disease so I subbed gluten free flour and used a little less milk and they turned out perfectly. I made mine smaller, got 60 single cookies and they are still huge. My son declared them 100% delicious.
Hello from Chile! these look amazing, I want to make them today, but ¿could it be possible to replace the sprinkles with blueberries?
These look phenomenal! What a fun welcome back to school treat! They look delicious.
I just made these for my 3 girls who all have September birthdays! They were a huge hit! Just a touch crunchy on the outer edge and very soft/cakey in the middle. The almond extract is everything! The buttercream is fantastic as well, although I made 1/2 recipe with about 2.5 cups of sugar, a little extra vanilla and just a touch of milk. It was perfection! Definitely saving this recipe to use again.
Can I freeze these?
Hi, i love your recipes. A question, with what ingredient i can substitute the eggs. My little niece is alergic.
Hi there! I made these today, but they flattened out. They’re not round and fluffy like yours. They taste yummy, but aren’t as pretty. Any suggestion of how to avoid that next time? Thanks!