This sweet Blondie Recipe is made without chocolate! These are a great spin-off of classic blondies and take only minutes to mix together! I have heard these called Knock You Naked Blondies, but haven’t tested it. 😉
Best Blondie Recipe
Blondies are a great and easy bar cookie dessert that is a nice twist on classic brownies.
To make this blondie recipe you will not need a stand mixer, but you will need:
- A large microwave-safe bowl
- A 9×9 or 9×13 baking pan (I prefer the 9×9 for thicker brownies — the ones in these photos were made in a 9×9 pan)
- Parchment paper — this is optional but it makes it so easy to lift the blondies out of the pan to cut once they’ve cooled, and it also makes cleaning a breeze!
Why add Butterscotch to Blondies?
Butterscotch is a flavor made from melted butter and brown sugar. As you’ll see once we get into the recipe, those are the two primary ingredients in these blondies. No white sugar is used(!!!), giving these bars a great rich flavor. We’ll also toss a handful of butterscotch chips into the batter, just for good measure.
This flavor also makes these blondies a bit sweeter than your average brownie (which has a flavor that is usually slightly tempered by dark chocolate), so I recommend cutting your pieces a bit smaller than you might usually want to (or don’t, I promise I don’t judge 😉).
If you want to make these blondies without the butterscotch chips you will then have a more “traditional” or “standard” blondie recipe.
How to Make Blondies
The recipe is simple enough. Combine wet ingredients and then add in dry ingredients. What makes this blondie recipe amazing is the melted butter and perfect amount of egg. (Save your egg whites for my copycat Coconut Swiss Meringue Frosting!)
This batter is made up of melted butter, a fair amount of sugar, and much less flour than normal which is great for soft and chewy blondie. But the addition of the butterscotch chips really puts them over-the-top. You can, of course, use milk chocolate chips or white chocolate chips if you prefer!
Hope you enjoy this one-of-a-kind Blondie Recipe!
This sweet Blondie Recipe is made without chocolate!
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cup (350g) light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk, room temperature preferred
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (285g) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cup (250g) butterscotch chips
Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and prepare either a 9x13 or 9x9 pan (13x9 for more servings, 9x9 for thicker, chewier butterscotch brownie squares) by lining with parchment paper (or lightly grease and flour).
- Combine melted butter and sugar in a large bowl, stir well.
- Add eggs, and egg yolk, one at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into wet until completely combined. Stir in butterscotch chips.
Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake on 350F (177C) until edges just begin to turn golden brown (this is about 25-30 minutes for 9x13 pan; 35-40 minutes for a 9x9 pan).
- Allow to cool before cutting and serving
Samantha Merritt is the baker and blogger behind SugarSpunRun.com!