I have a confession. I have never liked Brownie Frosting. Until now! Pair it with the Best Brownie Recipe and you will be in heaven!
I made some From-Scratch Brownie Mix this week. I just decided that my brownies deserved a little decadence.
Let me tell you why this is the perfect frosting specifically for brownies.
- It’s soft, but ‘crusts’ ever so slightly after sitting out. The texture and consistency are natural and pure.
- It is complimentary. It adds to the overall flavor combination, not making one or the other the star of the show.
- It is made to be applied to warm brownies, meaning that it locks in the moisture of the brownie itself and creates this seamless transition of velvety smoothness to a chewy gooey brownie.
How to Make Brownie Frosting
You only need a few simple ingredients to create this fabulous recipe:
- cocoa powder
- confectioners sugar
- whole milk
The 3rd ingredient is what throws people off, as it is not usually what we add to frosting. But don’t leave it out! It really does something magical to this recipe.
Why is it “Brownie” Frosting?
By far my favorite way to enjoy this frosting is on brownies. When you have an ooey gooey brownie (stop judging my picture above of those gooey-licious brownies, that is how I make them!) with a sweet chocolate frosting melting into every nook and cranny, it’s just magic. However, this frosting would be amazing on my Zucchini Cake as well as my Cream Cheese Pound Cake. The kids loved it there, but I prefer my pound cakes naked. 😉
Not only is the brownie frosting perfectly delicious, but it is also fast and easy. Take about a minute to come together and spreads easily over cooled brownies. I have added it to brownies right out of the oven before, and while that tastes AMAZING, it doesn’t look as pretty. If you want to tackle that delicious option, double the recipe and use half immediately then the other half after the brownies are cool.
I think it’s safe to say that I am officially converted into a fan of frosting on brownies! Hope you are too. 🙂
I have a confession. I have never liked Brownie Frosting. Until now!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125g) confectioners sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk, or heavy cream
In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment (a hand mixer works excellently here), combine room temperature butter, cocoa, honey, vanilla, and confectioners sugar.
Turn mixer on low and let it combine ingredients for about 30 seconds.
Slowly add milk, one tablespoon at a time, until you reach desired consistency. You may not need all 3 tablespoons, you may need 1 more, it can vary from season to season and kitchen to kitchen.
Spread over warm brownies.
Check out my other amazing brownie recipes: