Candle Birthday Cake {Surprise Inside Cake}

filed under: Surprise Inside Cakes on May 4, 2013

The best part of birthdays??  The cake of course!

I would love  to share with you a fun cake idea as well as some tips on how YOU can best enjoy all the birthdays you celebrate!

Funfetti Cake!

Here’s  Tip #1: Use a box of cake mix to ensure a level, beautiful and delicious cake!  Don’t stress about finding the perfect from scratch recipe, especially if you are a busy working parent.  Your child will not know the difference, but they will know that you baked something special just for them!

Raw Cake about to be frosted with #32 tip.

I am a huge fan of the easy concept.  Just because the technique is easy doesn’t mean you are sacrificing beauty!

For this cake I used a #32 tip.  Simply hold the tip at the base of the cake, apply light pressure, and move up to the top.  Make sure to take the frosting all the way over the top edge of the cake.

Pillsbury Funfetti Cake decorated with #32 Tip

For the top, I used a #1M tip and just made little swirled dollops of frosting.

This is a classic technique that I have loved and admired forever. I left the better part of the top of the cake white and really like how clean it looks!

I used THIS perfect buttercream recipe for piping.

Frosting dollops on top of a yellow cake. Cake has a surprise inside!

The inside was something different all together!

I decided to make it a surprise inside cake, because who doesn’t love a good surprise???

Surprise Inside Funfetti Cake from iambaker.net

Can you tell what the surprise is?

A candle!

Candle Surprise Inside Cake from iambaker.net

This tiny candle will be in every single piece of cake.  I just love that everyone who gets a piece will get some of the FUN surprise!

And whats even better is that sweet little candle is surrounded by a bright and festive Funfetti Cake!

Ready for those other two tips on how you can celebrate more?

Candle Surprise Inside Funfetti Cake!

Tip #2: Make a tradition.  Choose to always bake a cake.  Or make a certain flavor of cake.  Or buy a huge pack of candles on your baby’s first birthday and use the same candles every year.  Or make a personalized Birthday Book!

Audrey enjoying a Surprise Inside Birthday cake!

Tip #3: Relax.  If you are a parent and trying to plan the perfect party for your most precious little angel, take a moment to sit back and catch your breath.  Are family and friends going to be gathered around?  Is there enough cake for everyone?  Then that is all you need.

I know, I know… we all want our children to have the most special day.  But truly… feeling loved is the greatest gift we can give them!

Comments

• Holly in FL says:

Absolutely..yes!! Always home-made…

• Mercedes says:

Gorgeous, gorgeous as usual! Yes, I absolutely celebrate with cake on my birthday! German chocolate every year!

• Sharon Ryder says:

Super fun idea!
    Yes, cake is a must at our house. I always personalize the occasion with their favorite flavor and decorate with their personality in mind.

• CortneyB says:

Of course. It’s not a party without cake 😉

• jenica haug says:

I celebrate most days with cake! especially birthdays! 🙂

• Carmella says:

Absolutely!

• Greta says:

I always celebrate a birthday with cake, its the best part of the party!!! Greta

• Jennifer Martz says:

Birthdays aren’t birthdays without cake!!!!!!!!!!!

• meredith says:

I love cake and always have 2 on my birthday since I share the day with my brother and we cant decide on the same one!

• Nachelle says:

Cake is always a must and add some ice cream and you are talking birthdays!

• Chriss says:

I don’t eat cake so I don’t have any for my birthday but I make sure to bake my son one every year for his birthday.

• Aleisha says:

Absolutely!! We love cake! I always make a themed cake of my kids’ choice for their birthday. They love it and can remember what I’ve done every year from BumbleBee transformer to Jake and the Neverland pirates… and really it’s fun for me too!

• Terry Hernandez says:

Yes. I always find out what flavored cake and theme my kids and family members want for their birthdays and try to make them a very special cake.

• Terry Hernandez says:

I was able to find Pillsbury on Facebook and went ahead and liked it!!

• Cathy P. says:

It just wouldn’t be a birthday without cake! I really enjoy making homemade cake, I think it tastes so much better than store bought. I’ve enjoyed your blog, which gives me lots of new ideas for making birthday cakes and other wonderful things!

• Rikki-Dee says:

Of course!

• DBaker says:

We always have cake for birthdays. I’m the person that gets the honor of baking the cakes. Even my own! Not just for family but friends as well. Almost all the males in my life want carrot cake for birthdays. Females want chocolate or white or coconut or lemon. Cake is my favorite dessert.

• kay says:

Sometimes we have cake and sometimes we don’t.

• Gina Chun says:

Uhh… hello? Isn’t that a given!? What’s a birthday without a cake!! I love a good old vanilla cake with light whipped cream frosting with blueberry preserves yum. Or chiffon cakes:)

• Laura says:

I always celebrate with cake! Although I have to admit my favorite is ice cream cake. As a child I’d always get the ones from DQ (no-cake cakes), but the ones from TCBY are very good as well, because they’re half cake and half ice cream. Yum.

• Tatyana says:

It seems there is always no time to bake for myself, but I always bake for my family 😉

• Lily says:

Birthday cake is never about eating it in my house (although it’s a nice bonus)! My family and I all get together and make a delicious cake together (usually red velvet or peanut butter and chocolate) and decorate it beautifully. The most fun we have together is in the kitchen baking something fabulous.

• Kari Christiansen says:

Everybody has their favorite baked from scratch cake at my house…..since I also sell custom baked goods from home, the list is long so they usually switch it up each year. Except for my youngest daughter with a February birthday…..it’s Red Velvet Cake every time.

• Ruth James says:

Always made a special homemade cake for every family member. When I remarried 2 weeks before my birthday my new in-laws were excited to share the day with me. MIL offered to “pick up the cake.” See, the whirlwind romance hadn’t overlapped our birthdays, so my new hubby and family did not yet know that bought cakes were forbidden in my house! He got the message because our newly blended family of kids made me a cake and we also (for that year only) had MIL’s cake.
    So, yes, we celebrate with cake!!!!!

• JOYCE STEWART says:

The surprise inside of the cake is a candle with funfetti.
    I think that this is a very unique concept. I bake a lot and especially
    during the school year. I like this page so many tips and ideas. And I like having a place for the
    average mom to come to and share thoughts and ideas.