Candle Birthday Cake {Surprise Inside Cake}

filed under: Surprise Inside Cakes on May 4, 2013

The best part of birthdays??  The cake of course!

I would love  to share with you a fun cake idea as well as some tips on how YOU can best enjoy all the birthdays you celebrate!

Funfetti Cake!

Here’s  Tip #1: Use a box of cake mix to ensure a level, beautiful and delicious cake!  Don’t stress about finding the perfect from scratch recipe, especially if you are a busy working parent.  Your child will not know the difference, but they will know that you baked something special just for them!

Raw Cake about to be frosted with #32 tip.

I am a huge fan of the easy concept.  Just because the technique is easy doesn’t mean you are sacrificing beauty!

For this cake I used a #32 tip.  Simply hold the tip at the base of the cake, apply light pressure, and move up to the top.  Make sure to take the frosting all the way over the top edge of the cake.

Pillsbury Funfetti Cake decorated with #32 Tip

For the top, I used a #1M tip and just made little swirled dollops of frosting.

This is a classic technique that I have loved and admired forever. I left the better part of the top of the cake white and really like how clean it looks!

I used THIS perfect buttercream recipe for piping.

Frosting dollops on top of a yellow cake. Cake has a surprise inside!

The inside was something different all together!

I decided to make it a surprise inside cake, because who doesn’t love a good surprise???

Surprise Inside Funfetti Cake from iambaker.net

Can you tell what the surprise is?

A candle!

Candle Surprise Inside Cake from iambaker.net

This tiny candle will be in every single piece of cake.  I just love that everyone who gets a piece will get some of the FUN surprise!

And whats even better is that sweet little candle is surrounded by a bright and festive Funfetti Cake!

Ready for those other two tips on how you can celebrate more?

Candle Surprise Inside Funfetti Cake!

Tip #2: Make a tradition.  Choose to always bake a cake.  Or make a certain flavor of cake.  Or buy a huge pack of candles on your baby’s first birthday and use the same candles every year.  Or make a personalized Birthday Book!

Audrey enjoying a Surprise Inside Birthday cake!

Tip #3: Relax.  If you are a parent and trying to plan the perfect party for your most precious little angel, take a moment to sit back and catch your breath.  Are family and friends going to be gathered around?  Is there enough cake for everyone?  Then that is all you need.

I know, I know… we all want our children to have the most special day.  But truly… feeling loved is the greatest gift we can give them!

Comments

• Little Linda says:

Usually, although when I ran a home-daycare, cake was not counted as a “credible” food, so I would often press a batch of rice krispy treats into a gallon ice cream pail lined with plastic wrap (for easy removal) & sprinkled with non-pareils. Candles were simple with large marshmallows cut in 1/2 put sticky-side down.

• Susan Might says:

Since I was a little girl, and that was a long time ago, I have always had a cherry nut cake for my birthday. I’m assuming that my mother had to come up with something different because my sister’s and brother’s birthday is just one week before mine. They always had chocolate cake.
    When I grew up and left home I made my birthday cake every year and now that I am older my daughter makes it for me. It just would not be my birthday without it.

• Ashley says:

Of course, who doesn’t?! I bake the cakes myself, except for my birthday where I get an ice cream cake.

• Traci says:

What was the candle surprise made out of?
    Was it placed in there before baking?
    What were the funfetti pieces?

• Laurie says:

We always have cake for birthdays here. My oldest son and I both want my homemade form scratch carrot cake and my youngest usually wants something chocolate. I have a yummy devil’s food cake that I make with cherries, nuts, chocolate chips and marshmallow cream that he loves.

• Mia says:

We always celebrate with cakes because i believe that cakes make everything fun and happy. Actually this sunday we will be celebrating my boyfriends birthday and as i was checking your recipes, i just decided to do this one:)

• Cathy Osgood says:

Growing up, my mom always made us a cut up cake of our choice..ahh, the memories! Now I love to decorate cakes for my family!

• Ritchil Shafer (Cheng and 3 Kids) says:

Always! I feel like it just wouldn’t be complete without a cake 🙂

• Diana says:

YES! I ALWAYS celebrate with cake on my birthday! There’s not other way to do it! 🙂

• Carrie Cotter says:

Absolutely! I love cake!

• Sara Cardiff says:

I will celebrate my birthday with a cupcake!

• Jess says:

Cupcakes, cakes, or confections of some sort are a birthday requirement! (I even bake them for my dog’s birthday.)

• Kristin Smith says:

Of course! Although my husband LOVES my dulce de leche homemade cheesecake….so in May I always make one of those instead of a traditional cake!! 🙂

• Dawn says:

Yep! Gotta have cake! 🙂 With six kids, that means many different kinds too! 🙂 This cake is beautiful!

• farmerswife518 says:

Love making birthday cakes. I used to always make them from scratch, but as life has become busier, a doctored up box mix works just as well as long as there’s loads of homemade buttercream on it! German chocolate for me, funfetti for the kids, and white for the hubs. Can’t wait to make one of your surprise inside cakes….you have the best tutorials 🙂

• Tabitha of Epicycle Designs says:

I do love me some birthday cake, and in fact Funfetti is almost always what I’ll go for! I just told my husband today, “hey, my birthday’s next month!” and he snickered because he knows how much I love birthdays, especially my own. 😉

• Sharon Booker says:

Cake on my birthday is a MUST…cake every other day of the year is a wish!! Love it!

• Janet says:

I usually don’t have a cake for myself but bake for everyone else.

• Carmen says:

I always celebrate a birthday with a cake,it just makes the birthday person feel extra special.

• Karen says:

We have many family celebrations about the same time so usually I have cake but sometimes I switch it out for pie.

• Tisha van horn says:

Every year cake or cupcakes!!

• Beverly says:

No, I’m the cake baker in the family and I’ve never cooked a cake just for me.

• Maryann S. says:

Yes, we celebrate our birthdays with a cake. With twins, even after 42 years they still get their own cake.
    We now have twin grandsons and my son and daughter-in-law always see that they each have their own cake. 🙂
    Thanks for the chance to win.

• Lucía says:

I do!! I love baking since I’m a kid, and even if I don’t celebrate I make a cake for my birthday, I just love to make a little treat for me, at least once a year :p