This chocolate buttercream is amazing for one reason… it has COFFEE in it! Chocolate Coffee Buttercream is basically the best invention ever. Looking for more great Cake Recipes? Look no further!
I love testing out Chocolate Frosting recipes. I mean, you really can’t go wrong with chocolate buttercream right? This one does not disappoint! Chocolate frosting infused with pure coffee flavor. If you love enhanced chocolate richness, this is the frosting for you!
How to Make Coffee Buttercream
Just a few simple ingredients and you have the most decadent frosting! Also, I like a really strong cup of black coffee in this recipe. However, you can use whatever strength you prefer as well as use a decaf.
- unsalted butter
- cream cheese
- confectioners sugar
- cocoa powder
- strong brewed coffee, or more to taste
Add the butter and cream cheese together in a bowl and mix with a hand-held mixer until creamy. (You can also use a stand mixer for extra smooth & creamy frosting!)
Slowly add in confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, coffee, and salt until smooth and spreadable. Feel free to add more coffee if you want it creamier. I needed my frosting on the firm side for the piping.
How to Decorate This Cake
Chocolate Cake Recipe (click to print)
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. McCormick pure vanilla extract
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl and mix until combined.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With the mixer still on low, add the
- coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pour the batter into
two 8-inch round prepared pans and bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 350°F, until a cake tester or toothpick comes out mostly clean (not wet).
- Cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack and cool completely
If you love Chocolate Cake recipes, be sure to check these out!
Best Chocolate Cake (sheet cake)
This chocolate buttercream is amazing for one reason… it has COFFEE in it! Chocolate Coffee Buttercream is basically the best invention ever.
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 226g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 cups (750g) confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, or more to taste
- Pinch salt
Beat butter and cream cheese together in a bowl with an electric hand mixer until creamy.
Slowly add in confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder, coffee, and salt until smooth and spreadable. Can add more coffee if you want it creamier.