Chocolate Mug Cake
Have you ever had a craving for chocolate cake but didn’t feel like making a whole cake? Have I got a solution for you! This easy recipe is cheap, FAST, and super delicious!
All you need is three things:
- Angel Food Cake Mix
- Chocolate Cake Mix
I like to make a big batch and store it so I have something yummy for when the craving strikes!
How to Make a Mug Cake
The concept is easy.
One box of angel food cake mix. One box any flavor cake mix. (I prefer chocolate) Combine. Use some immediately then store the rest in your pantry.
When ready to eat:
3 tablespoons cake mix
2 tablespoons water
1 minute in the microwave
And yes it is that easy!
But lets get real about a couple of things.
Does it Taste Good?
What it does, quite beautifully actually, is serve a craving. It’s chocolate. It’s hot. It’s quick.
It’s a small portion so you don’t have to add ‘major guilt trip’ to your list of daily tasks.
I experimented with a LOT of flavors and settled on chocolate cake with mini chocolate chips and massive fun toppings with sprinkles.
These are Mini Rainbow Chocolate Chips which are right up there with sliced bread in terms of inventions that make my life awesome.
Tips for the Perfect Mug Cake
The cake mixture recipe is meant to be fun and easy! Play with it. Have fun. Add whatever you have in the pantry! (I love the idea of a white cake with McCormick® Orange Extract in the summer!)
If you want to double the recipe (if you have a large mug as I did) you can. Simply add an additional 10 seconds in the microwave.
If you are adding a garnish like whipped cream, it will melt if the chocolate cake is hot. (which tastes amazing but doesn’t look as pretty)
This sweet treat is a hug in a mug!
Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1 box angel food cake
- 1 box chocolate cake
When Ready to Make Mug Cake
- 3 tablespoons cake mixture
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract optional
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chip optional
- Pour angel food cake and chocolate cake mix into a large bowl and whisk until combined. Place in an airtight container and store for up to six months.
- Add the mixture, water, and vanilla in a mug and stir well to combine.
- Drop in chocolate chips. (optional)
- Place in microwave for one minute.
- Allow to cool slightly before eating.
- Garnish with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, sprinkles, cherry, or whatever you would prefer.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.