Classic Cheesecake with Double Crust {Appreciation Post}

filed under: Cheesecakes on September 12, 2013

This post is all about (and for) my dear husband, Chad.  I really wanted to take a moment to let him know how much I appreciate him; his patience, his willingness, his kindness, and his knack for jumping in and doing the dishes just when I need it most.

Double the Crust Cheesecake

Chad took a few minutes to answer some questions I had for him.  These are me asking him, so when I say “my” I am referring to me.  And as you will be able to tell, my sweet husband is a man of few words. 🙂

What is my favorite blog? I have no idea.  i am baker?

MY LATEST VIDEOS

What is my favorite prop? Cake stands.

What is the weirdest thing you have seen me do for a blog post? One time you made 50 cakes in 30 days.

If you had a blog what would it be called? Gardener Hunter Dad

What do you do for a living and what are you hobbies? I am a Project Manager for a construction company.  My hobbies are hunting, gardening, fishing rod building, and hanging out with my kids.

Bonus Question:

Who does the dishes?  We both do.

Note from Amanda:  No, my blog is not my favorite blog.  He is right, I love cake stands.  I did 50 cakes in 30 days for my book!  It was an insane time!  Chad is an amazing gardener , fisherman and hunter. Our home displays many of his mounts. (2 Elk, Bear and a Buffalo)  He works a lot, and is really good at what he does!  He even manages to sell custom fishing rods on the side.  But best of all, he is always willing to help with the dishes!

Hubby and Kids

I chose this picture of Chad because I think it represents him well.  He is outside and spending time with his kids!

And now on to the fun part… dessert!

This Cheesecake is ALL about the crust!

One of Chad’s favorite desserts is Cheesecake.  Not just any old cheesecake, but cheesecake with a BIG EXTRA THICK crust.  The more crust the better.

Just look at the cheesecake to crust ratio!

Classic Cheesecake with Double Crust
Prep Time
20 mins
Cook Time
35 mins
chilling
15 mins
Total Time
55 mins

One of Chads favorite desserts is Cheesecake. Not just any old cheesecake, but cheesecake with a BIG EXTRA THICK crust. The more crust the better.

Course: Dessert
  • 2 eggs lightly beaten
  • 1/3 c sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
Instructions
Crust
  1. In a bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Pat evenly onto the bottom and all the way up the sides of a 8-in. springform pan. Chill for 15 minutes.

For Filling
  1. Beat cream cheese and eggs in a stand mixer on medium speed for 1 minute. Add 1/3 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and salt. Continue beating until well blended, approximately 1 minute. Carefully pour into crust.

2. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Chill until ready to serve.

So while I am sharing this recipe with you, I want you to know that you are welcome to halve the crust ingredients to achieve a more, um, normal cheesecake.

I have a fun little surprise that I want to share with you!  While preparing the springform pan for the crust I spread a fairly thick layer of cold butter over the bottom, and it ended up just slightly caramelizing the very bottom of the crust.  The added texture and sweetness was amazing!  If you are making this for your family and don’t mind using them as guinea pigs, I hope you will give it a try! 😉

Classic Cheesecake with Extra Thick Crust

Comments

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says:

The more crust the better – I like the way he thinks!! Thanks so much for this post idea Amanda!

• Renee - Kudos Kitchen says:

What a great looking family you have! Fun post and great looking cheesecake. To me, the best thing about a cheesecake is the crust so a double crust is right up my alley!

• Zainab @ Blahnik Baker says:

I love this day and your interview with your husband 🙂 The cheesecake looks amazing with all that crust!!

• Beth @ bethcakes says:

Wonderful post! Your kids are too cute! Love that family photo. Also, love the cheesecake! Can triple crust be a thing? Is that acceptable? 🙂

Plus, super excited about your book!

• Amanda says:

Oh. My. Word! Why would you want to halve the crust recipe?!? That’s the BEST PART! And why, in all my years of baking, have I not had this INCREDIBLE idea of doubling it. You, Amanda, are now my most favorite person in the world! Thank you!!

• Heather @ SugarDish(Me) says:

You have a Chad too! I know I read that before but with the posts dedicated to all the Chads and dads and spouses and cool supportive others it really jumped out at me. Adorable family photo and awesome crust-full cheesecake!! Thank you so much for organizing this fun project. It’s been really great!!!

• Liz @ The Lemon Bowl says:

Could your family possibly be any more adorable??? And I am drooling over the cheesecake!! Ironically cheesecake is one of my husbands specialties!! He always makes a dark chocolate irish cream version with an oreo crust for the holidays. (I know.) 🙂

• Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says:

Love this double crust! Lovely recipe!

• Diane {Created by Diane} says:

oh I just love lots of crust on my cheesecake and well really cheesecake is the BEST thing ever! Your hubby and mine would get along well, mine loves hunting too. It’s great getting to know your family better and thank you so much for bringing this really fun idea to life!

• Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain says:

I adore this post, Amanda! I think our hubs could be buds! Thanks for putting this altogether! High-five girlfriend!

• meaghan says:

This is gorgeous from top to bottom. What a beautiful family!! I wish I lived in your neighborhood. Thank you so much for organizing such a brilliant collection of appreciation posts!

• Meagan says:

What a lovely post and such a handsome family, Amanda! I love the idea of taking a moment to appreciate the dude across the table – they do so much for us! And don’t even get me started on your luscious cheesecake… GORGEOUS.

• [email protected] pineapple and coconut says:

I can’t thank you enough for all your hard work organizing this! I am just loving reading about everyone’s amazing and supportive ( and cute) husbands!! You have a beautiful family. And 50 cakes in 30 days?? I am impressed – can’t wait to see your book!

• Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats says:

Thanks so much for doing this Amanda! You have a lovely family and your hubby rocks!

• Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts says:

Thanks for organizing this fun event! I am loving reading about everyones supportive husbands. I love that your husband built you a closet. I think my husband gets secretly excited when I ask him to build me something!

• Jen says:

THANK YOU. The crust is the best part — this needed to happen

• Ann says:

Doesn`t look like too much crust to me or even double…just right! Thanks for the tip about the cold butter on the pan bottom. I`ll try that and I think it would be easier to cut too! Mine always crumbles or chips away when I try to slice it.

• Cassie | Bake Your Day says:

Love this and love YOU for coming up with this fabulous idea! xoxo

• tanya says:

What a great picture! He is in his element there isn’t he? 50 cakes in 30 days is amazing Amanda! I’m so glad you organized this. It’s been so fun and a great way to read new blogs!

• Jane Garner says:

Do you preheat the oven or does it go into a cold oven?

• Amanda says:

Good question… I preheat.

• Jamie | Thrifty Veggie Mama says:

Great post! I loved being a part of this. Thanks for organizing it!