Cream Cheese Muffins are nothing short of perfection. With a cream cheese swirl and a crumb topping, I can almost guarantee that you will be hooked after one bite. The muffins are so moist, to begin with, adding the cream cheese in the center just brings them to a higher level. If you love these muffins, you have to try my Cream Cheese Sweet Bread and Cream Cheese Pound Cake!
Cream Cheese Muffins
Why couldn’t the teddy bear finish his muffin? Because he was stuffed😀. Well, I’m stuffed because I ate so many of these muffins. I don’t think any human will have trouble finishing one of these Cream Cheese Muffins if not more than one! They are really THAT GOOD!
Cream Cheese Muffins Recipe
There are three parts to this recipe–the cream cheese swirl, the muffins, and the crumb topping.
How to Make Cream Cheese Muffins
It’s all about swirling the cream cheese mixture into these moist and delicious muffins! You will swirl in the beaten cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar mixture before baking the muffins.
To make the cream cheese swirl, simply mix the confectioners’ sugar with the room temperature cream cheese. Set that aside until you are ready to add it to the muffin batter.
Don’t forget about the crumb topping. I tried one without the crumb topping and thought it was the best thing ever. Then, I add the crumb topping and thought that was even better! Just make sure the butter is no larger than the size of a pea.
How to Bake the Cream Cheese Muffins
Using half the muffin batter, fill each muffin liner halfway. Then, pour in the cream cheese swirl, trying to evenly distribute the mixture into each muffin cup. Top each muffin off with the rest of the batter. Mix each together with a toothpick. Then, sprinkle the crumb topping over each muffin. Bake for 23-26 minutes, and if you want more sweetness (and I do) add some confectioners’ sugar after the muffins have cooled. This recipe will make 12-16 muffins, depending on how full you fill each muffin.
How Long Will Muffins last?
Well, that is an easy question to answer for me–a couple of hours, if that! Kidding. If you leave them out, a cream cheese muffin will last only 1 or 2 days. If you refrigerate the muffins, they will last 2-3 days, but freezing them keeps them good for up to 4 months.
Looking for More Cream Cheese Treats?
Cream Cheese Muffins
CREAM CHEESE SWIRL
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 package (4-ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (142g or 1 1/2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (301g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (192g) cake flour
- 1/8 cup (30g) buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cold
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
CREAM CHEESE SWIRL
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese and confectioners' sugar. Set aside while you prepare the muffin batter.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare a muffin pan with muffin liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add sugar gradually and beat until lighter and fluffier.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition.
- Add in the vanilla.
- Add the flour all at once and mix until just combined.
- Add in buttermilk with mixer on low and mix until just incorporated.
- Remove bowl from stand mixer and scrape with a rubber spatula to get every last bit of ingredient incorporated.
- Using a food processor, fork, or your hands (I prefer clean hands), combine the cold butter, flour, and confectioners' sugar in a bowl. Make sure the butter is broken down and no larger than a pea when you are done.
ASSEMBLING CREAM CHEESE MUFFINS
- Pour half the batter into the muffin tin, filling each cup only halfway.
- Add cream cheese swirl to each muffin cup, followed by using the rest of the muffin batter to fill each cup.
- Using a toothpick, swirl the batter and the cream cheese of each muffin together.
- Top with the crumb topping and bake for 23-26 minutes.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.