Um, have you noticed? I am putting zucchini in everything. I can’t say I am sorry though, because everything I am making is so darn delicious!! Especially these Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes!
Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
This zucchini cupcake recipe is a favorite so far, as it is over-the-top chocolatey. Everything is rich and creamy and moist and amazing. It’s pretty much the best cupcake to ever be made in the history of all the cupcake making world.
Since I have been baking with zucchini so much lately, I thought I would write a little poem about it.
And now, Poetry with i am baker.
You grow fast
and have hardly any flavor
Yet I love you
and your green innards.
Pretty good huh?
Don’t worry. I will stick to baking.
Some things worth mentioning:
This is a one bowl cupcake recipe. One bowl. I LOVE that. I dislike dishes. A lot. One bowl! Well, excluding the bowl you beat the eggs in. Darn it.
*I used this Chocolate Frosting recipe for the cupcakes. Using an ice cream scoop, I just dropped a dollop on each cupcake. It’s my new favorite way to decorate!
These suckers are rich. RICH I TELL YOU. Make sure you have milk and loose fitting pants nearby.
How to Bake with Zucchini
When using zucchini in recipes there are a couple tips & tricks help to make sure your baked goods are perfect!
-Use the fine side of your grater. Coarser pieces will have a slightly more noticeable flavor and texture in a finished cake or bread recipe. (Farm kids tend to want that!)
-Some recipes ask that the zucchini is pressed well with a clean towel to soak up excess moisture or to prevent whatever your baking from getting too soggy. Pay close attention to the recipe that you are making with zucchini as the level of moisture they provide is important. For instance, in this recipe, the zucchini is the main source of moisture and should not be completely drained!
This recipe was adapted from a cake recipe, and I am making it into a cake today! It’s my son’s birthday soon and we are having a big party tomorrow… his request was Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Chocolate Frosting and White Zucchini Cake with Strawberry Frosting. (Ok, so I added the zucchini request in there, but he will love it!)
- 2 cups (256g) all purpose flour
- 2 cup (400g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (75g) unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon optional
- 3 cups finely grated and lightly drained zucchini
- 1 cup (224g) vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten room temperature
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (up to 1 cup)
Heat oven to 350°F. Prepare cupcakes pans with liners. (Yields roughly 26-28 cupcakes)
- In a large bowl add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. With a whisk gently sift ingredients.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the eggs and oil. Mix by hand. Batter will be fairly thick. Add in grated zucchini and chocolate chips and fold in with spatula. Batter should loosen up a bit with the moisture from the zucchini.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill up cupcake liners 2/3 full.
Bake for about 15-18 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick is removed mostly clean.
Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Hope you love these Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes as much as we do! Here is the chocolate frosting recipe!