Peanut Butter Zucchini Cake is a moist and dense cake full of peanut butter flavor with even more peanut butter drizzled on top. If you love peanut butter, be sure to try my Peanut Butter Cake with Chocolate Frosting, too!
Peanut Butter Zucchini Cake
Don’t worry about seeing zucchini in this recipe title and ingredients; you will not taste it! Zucchini adds so much moisture to muffins and cakes, like my Chocolate Zucchini Muffins and Zucchini Cake. Once you use it, you will be hooked! And this peanut butter zucchini cake is no exception; the crumb is so moist with a strong peanut butter flavor in every bite.
Peanut Butter Zucchini Cake Ingredients
Peanut Butter: Use creamy peanut butter for both the cake batter and the topping. For the topping, melt the peanut butter to drizzle over the cooled cake.
Buttermilk: If you don’t have any on hand, make your own homemade buttermilk.
Zucchini: Size matters. A large zucchini will be drier. A small zucchini will have more moisture. Certain recipes work best with different sizes. For instance, I use a medium to small zucchini with this recipe because I want the moisture the zucchini brings, but I use a large zucchini for my Double Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes. Peel the zucchini for this recipe. And, be sure to remove any seeds if there are any.
Peanuts: For a nutty crunch, I like to add chopped peanuts on top of the peanut butter drizzle. However, you can certainly leave those off the cake if you prefer.
Baking with Zucchini
When using zucchini in recipes there are a couple of tips & tricks that help to make sure your baked goods are perfect!
-Use the fine side of your grater. Coarser pieces will have a slightly more noticeable flavor and texture in a finished cake or bread recipe.
-Some recipes ask that the zucchini is pressed well with a clean towel to soak up excess moisture or to prevent whatever your baking from getting too soggy. Pay close attention to the recipe that you are making with zucchini as the level of moisture they provide is important. For instance, in this recipe, the zucchini is the main source of moisture and should not be drained.
Peanut Butter Zucchini Cake
- 1 cup (258 g) creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup (200 g) brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (61 g) buttermilk
- 1½ cups (187.5 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup zucchini, peeled, shredded, and undrained with no seeds (small to medium size)
- ½ cup (129 g) creamy peanut butter, melted
- chopped peanuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, brown sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and buttermilk until well combined.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking soda to the peanut butter mixture. (The batter will be dry, but the undrained zucchini will bring in moisture.)
- Fold in the shredded, undrained zucchini.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out with a few crumbs, but no wet batter.
- Let the cake cool before adding the melted peanut butter and chopped peanuts (optional).
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.