Easiest Snack Ever

filed under: Food + Drink on October 22, 2010

So this is less of a recipe and more of a, “Hey, didn’t I see that on the box at some point?”

I am fairly certain that everyone in the good ole USA has seen this before.  If you haven’t then email cause we need to be friends.  I rarely meet people as behind the times as me.

Could. Not. Be. Simpler. (Want more amazing appetizers? I’ve got you covered!)

IMG_4564.stamp

Snacks

I am sure you could add 101 different things to this, and by all means, please share so that I can break out of the mold a bit OK? My family will thank you. But every afternoon when the kids get home from school I am struggling to come up with easy snacks that everyone likes, that they can make themselves, and that isn’t loaded with sugar. This one fits the bill!

IMG_4600.stamp

How to Make This Easy Snack

Now, these steps are long and complicated so please be sure to tell me if I left anything out!

Grab cracker.

Add cottage cheese.

Sprinkle with season salt.

Eat.

IMG_4573.stamp

Gotta tell ya.  Even though this is the easiest and cheapest snack ever, we love it.  We can polish off two sleeves of crackers and a container on cottage cheese in one sitting. Not to mention the Lawry’s… did you see the size of that container???

best snack for kids

Variations for Snacks

You can add jam, jelly, fresh fruit (we love pears), prunes, almost anything to this simple snack. Some folks use Mrs. Dash to cut down on salt, some use low fat cottage cheese, some get the low-sodium crackers and create an almost salt-free snack! I can say with full confidence that whatever combination you choose, you will be delighted with this easy treat.

IMG_4611.stamp

4.75 from 4 votes
best snack for kids
Easy Snack
Prep Time
15 mins
Total Time
15 mins

Even though this is the easiest and cheapest snack ever, we love it. We can polish off two sleeves of crackers and a container on cottage cheese in one sitting.

Course: Snack
Cuisine: American
Keyword: Easy Snack
Author: Amanda Rettke
Ingredients
  • Ritz Crackers
  • Cottage Cheese
  • Season Salt
Instructions
  1. Place about 1 tablespoon of cottage cheese on a cracker and sprinkle with seasons salt. Repeat as many times as you would like!

You may notice that I do not add quantities to this recipe. Simply put, you can make as many or as few as you would like.

So tell me, how many years (decades, centuries…) have you been enjoying this snack?

Are what are some ways you and your family customize it?

Comments

• Barbara says:

I’m smiling Amanda, because I’ve always loved cottage cheese on a triscuit for snacking!
    And one of my favorite lunches is cottage cheese with radishes and red pepper mixed in, topped with Lawry’s, roasted pecans and a hard boiled egg and tomatoes on the side. So delish.

• Heather says:

I never, ever would’ve thought of that. Our family likes the Laughing Cow cheese but that’s certainly not as cheap as cottage cheese!

• Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} says:

You should be expecting your phone to ring and it to be me real soon. I haven’t seen that one 🙂
    I do eat cottage cheese on my potato chips the wavy type that can hold it, or those salt and pepper kettle chips are my favorite, but don’t tell anyone I work out with and please don’t let my trainer know—I’m trying to not eat them everyday 🙂 no kidding I really am, but I bought two bags of chips today, so I don’t think this plan is working well for me! I figure the cottage cheese ads some protein and dairy if nothing else 🙂

• Janet says:

Amanda, I think I learned about this when my daughter (now 18) was in preschool, they were learning the rhyme Little Miss Muffet (sat on a tuffet, eating her curds & whey) anyhow, they had a snack of crackers & cottage cheese. What a wonderful way to get picky kids to try it! They didn’t use the salt, though. You ~need~ to try it with a tiny little dot of your favorite jam/jelly instead of salt. Delicious!

• Laura says:

I’ve never heard of it myself, but my boys are huge fans of cottage cheese. Where do people come up with this stuff?!

• Jenn-Jenn says:

Whahahaha…. here is South Africa they’re called Salticrax and they’ve coined the phrase Salticrax Snax – one for every day of the month. Shortly after pay-day you get the ones with cream cheese, smoked salmon, garnish. Mid-Month has cream cheese, end of the month is a lowly bicky on it’s own… but still good.

• carma says:

this does look very tasty – and in 3 easy steps – can’t beat that. We must try it!!!

• Krysta S. says:

Love this snack! BUT we use Mrs. Dash, instead of Lawry’s. I’ve been eating this snack since I was a kid!!

• Michelle says:

I’ve never tried this snack. I’m not a big fan of cottage cheese, though. 🙁
    I do love Ritz crackers with Chives and Onion cream cheese! I could eat that stuff every day for the rest of my life!!

• Londa says:

Hmmm…would I? could I? I feel like this is comparable to trying green eggs and ham. I’m very unsure (even skeptical!), but in the end, I bet I would like it! You’ve never led me astray before, right?

• debbie says:

this sounds good will have to try it,, something we do is simple as well,,get a cracker, add a tad bit of sour cream and a jalapeno slice and sprinkle with garlic powder or garlic salt, whichever you prefer.. it is soooo good!

• AJ says:

Best “sample day at the grocery store” snack ever!

• Amanda Rettke says:

I want to go to your grocery stores AJ! 😉

• ali says:

Would you believe I’ve never seen that? Never ever, and I’ve seen quite a few snacks…

• MaryF says:

OK, So perhaps I’ve been living in a cave for the past 30 years but I have never had these for a snack, and I’m trying to work out exactly why… it seems as if they would be SOOOO tasty & just as quick…
    Must try these soon…. (and by soon, I mean right now!)

• Leo Kevin says:

The kids will surely find this FUN.. ;p

• MaryF says:

I tried them last night and they were so good… YUM!
    Now I’m starting to wonder what other quick and yummy snacks are out there that I haven’t heard about! 🙂
    Thanks for sharing.

• Rosa says:

Easy, but lovely nonetheless!
    Cheers,
    Rosa

• Deborah says:

I totally make this but with the salad seasoning you can find in the spice isle. YUM!

• cotton says:

It is a good recipe of cracker add cottage cheese. I love cheese. It is such a Easiest Snack Ever. Its looks so tasty and delicious. I never try like this recipe.

• jp says:

this a ridiculous amount of sodium for a snack, especially for children.

• Suzanne says:

I have never had this, and after going grocery shopping this morning (and won’t again until next week), I am sooo wishing I’d picked up some cottage cheese! Looks yummy!

• zeemaid says:

Well I must be out of date myself, I have never seen that snack before. I never would have thought of adding cottage cheese to ritz crackers. Looks yummy though!

• Renee says:

Sounds DELICOUS!! I HAVE TO try it some time..

• Ashleigh says:

I’m having a “why didn’t I think of that?” moment! 🙂 Such a simple and easy snack idea!