Easy Banana Pudding is a quick and easy no-bake dessert made with layers of vanilla wafers, vanilla pudding, and bananas, topped with whipped cream. It has all the creamy flavors of the classic dessert, but is put together in just a few minutes! If you prefer your desserts made from scratch, check out my Ultimate Banana Pudding.
Ingredients & Substitutions
This is a quick way to make this dessert, but I will offer you ways to make parts from scratch as well.
Vanilla Pudding: This recipe requires a box of vanilla instant pudding mix and cold milk. Or, make your own homemade vanilla pudding to use. For a unique twist on the dessert, you could substitute other flavors of puddings like banana cream, chocolate, or butterscotch.
Vanilla Wafers: For ease, buy a box of vanilla wafers. But, I also have homemade vanilla wafers that would be delicious! If you don’t have vanilla wafers, you could also try the dessert with shortbread cookies, graham crackers, or even ginger cookies.
Bananas: I used 4 ripe bananas for the layers of the dessert.
Whipped Topping: This recipe calls for a tub of whipped cream, like cool whip. You could also make your own to use.
Can I Make the Pudding Ahead of Time?
Sure! Follow the instructions on the box to make the vanilla pudding. After it has been made, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 3 days. When ready to assemble the dessert, give the pudding a stir before layering it in the dessert.
How to Store Easy Banana Pudding
After putting the easy banana pudding together, it can be covered and refrigerated for later. It will last up to 3-4 days but is best enjoyed within a day or two.
Easy Banana Pudding
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the instant vanilla pudding mix and cold milk. Using a hand mixer at medium-low speed, beat the mixture until well blended (about 2 minutes).
- Chill the pudding mixture in the refrigerator while you prepare the next step.
- In an 11×7-inch baking dish, arrange a single layer of vanilla wafer cookies with the flat side down. Use 24 cookies for this layer.
- Pour half of the chilled pudding mixture (about 1 cup) over the cookies in the baking dish.
- Add half of the thinly sliced bananas in a single layer over the pudding.
- Repeat with another layer of cookies, pudding, and bananas.
- Top the final layer with whipped cream, spreading it evenly over the pudding.
- If desired, garnish with extra sliced bananas and cookies.
- Chill the dessert in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, up to overnight before serving.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.