Lasagna Soup gives you all of the classic flavors of lasagna in a comforting and convenient soup. Perfect for busy weeknights or during the chilly winter months, this recipe is made in just one pot and ready in under 30 minutes! Check out my other variation of Lasagna Soup, too!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Noodles: For the best results in your Lasagna Soup, opt for Mafalda noodles. This unique noodle option offers the traditional flavor of lasagna noodles, with a visually appealing frill edge. While breaking up traditional lasagna noodles works, it can result in a flattening of the noodles and a loss of their signature appearance.
Meat: I prefer ground beef in this recipe. However, you could certainly substitute other kinds of meat. Try the soup with ground turkey for a leaner alternative, or Italian sausage for a spicier flavor.
Marinara Sauce: Choose from a variety of marinara sauce options or create your own homemade sauce for a truly impressive result.
Broth: I added 4 cups of beef broth to the soup. For a thinner consistency, simply add up to 4 cups of additional broth. If you don’t have beef broth on hand, try using chicken stock or chicken broth for a delicious alternative. Keep in mind that substituting chicken broth for beef broth may result in a slightly different flavor, but your Lasagna Soup will still be delicious.
Cheese: I added cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and mozzarella cheese to the soup. Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese for a personalized twist. Don’t forget to set aside some cheese (I like parmesan) for a delicious topping.
Variations: Add seasonal vegetables. You can add red and green bell peppers, mushrooms, jalapeno peppers, and even spinach!
Slow-Cooker Lasagna Soup Recipe
To prepare your lasagna soup in a slow cooker, start by browning the meat, onions, and garlic. Then transfer the ingredients to the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients, excluding the pasta, and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. To finish, add the noodles to the soup 30 minutes prior to serving, checking the texture at 15 minutes to ensure the noodles are al dente. To avoid gummy or sticky noodles, it is best to avoid adding them too far in advance.
How to Store Lasagna Soup
For leftover lasagna soup storage, keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 2-3 days. When ready to enjoy, reheat the soup in a pot on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring occasionally, or in the microwave.
Can I Freeze Lasagna Soup?
Yes. For best results, it’s recommended to freeze the soup without the noodles. This helps prevent the noodles from becoming mushy upon reheating. To enjoy your frozen lasagna soup, simply let it thaw in the refrigerator and then heat it up on the stovetop or in the microwave. To complete the dish, cook the noodles according to the package instructions and add them to the heated soup before serving. This method of storing and reheating the soup allows for up to 3 months of freezer life.
More Delicious Soups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 4 cups (32 ounces) beef broth, (can add up to 4 more cups if you want a runnier soup)
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 12 ounces Mafalda noodles, can use lasagna noodles broken
- ½ cup (119 g) heavy cream
- 1 cup (113 g) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (113 g) cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend, shredded
- parsley to garnish
- To a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil.
- When the oil is hot, add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add ground beef, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the meat as you go, for about 8-10 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink. Drain excess grease if necessary.
- Pour in sauce, beef broth, and crushed tomatoes. Stir to combine and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add noodles and allow to cook for 8 minutes, or until noodles are al dente.
- Add in heavy cream and cheese. Stir until the cheeses are melted.
- Serve immediately garnished with parsley.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Great recipe. I made it and it came out DELICIOUS. My kids loved it. I added a pound of ground pork and a pound of ground beef. Wanted to add a little more spice.
Excellent recipe. The only additions were to stir in some ricotta and only mozzarella, at the end. Excellent soup!
15/10 rating. It’s a hit every time!
Amazing!!! Such great flavor!