Cheeseburger Soup is a delicious bowl of comfort food that is easy to make in 30 minutes! A delicious, rich, broth loaded with beef then topped with bacon and cheese for amazing cheeseburger flavor.
Cheeseburger soup is an amazing option when you are really craving some comfort food and you want it quickly! This is one of my favorite soup recipes because it uses everyday pantry staples that I almost always have on hand.
Just like any other great soup, you will want to start out with a rich, flavor-packed base. I prefer to use chicken stock over broth. Stock tends to have a fuller mouth feel and richer flavor, due to the gelatin released by the long-simmering process.
For this cheeseburger soup recipe, I like to use regular ground beef, the highest in fat. Most of the fat cooks off and is drained at the end. By using a higher fat content, you will retain much of the juicy, meaty flavor that you love in a normal cheeseburger.
This cheeseburger soup recipe is also a favorite of mine because all of the ingredients cook together in one pot! No need to cook your potatoes separate. They will simmer together with the cooked beef, seasonings, and diced tomatoes with green chilies, resulting in the most amazing rich flavor!
I like to add a little bacon to this cheeseburger soup recipe to make it Bacon Cheeseburger Soup! I typically cook up about 6 slices of bacon in the same pot that I will cook the soup in. Then, I remove it to a towel-lined plate while I make the soup. Just crumble it on top and then end and enjoy!
Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup
Because my cheeseburger soup recipe is so easy to make, I typically just like to whip it up on the stove top. But, if you prefer to make this in your slow cooker I’m happy to say that you can and it’s just as simple!
Just a few quick notes on how the recipe will differ slightly if you make it in your crockpot instead of on the stove top.
- You will cook your beef with onion and seasonings as directed above.
- Drain your beef and add it to the slow cooker along with your cubed potatoes as well as the tomatoes and green chilis.
- Then, add just enough chicken stock to cover the mixture.
- The milk, cheese, and cornstarch mixture should all be added to the slow cooker about 20 minutes before serving.
- 1 Large Onion Diced
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 medium sized potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 Can Diced Tomato and Green Chili's
- 32 oz Chicken Broth
- 1 c Milk
- 2 c Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 6 Slices Bacon Cooked and Crumbled
- 2 tbsp. Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. Water
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat cook the ground beef along with the onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce until beef is no longer pink.
- Drain any grease if necessary.
- Add the cubed potatoes, diced tomatoes and green chili's, chicken broth, and milk to the pot.
- Simmer over medium heat until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in one cup of the shredded cheese until melted.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch and cold water. Then, whisk into the soup and simmer gently for 3-5 minutes until soup is thickened.
- Serve the soup topped with the remaining cheese, bacon, onions, and chopped pickles if desired.